( search forums )
MM Please make option for removing barret's scope.
Soldat Forums - Misc - Soldat Beta Testing
Bugs Revenge
November 11, 2005, 7:45 pm
Well, the topic says it all..

I guess the barret should be a sniping gun and for all the newbis it's fun camping around and sniping people.

But when it comes to CWs issues \ gathers it's freaking me out when other people camps, it's just ruining the whole game + ppl count it as lame, so why not just adding an option to remove its scope..? would that be hard for you? :(

It's overpowered already... this way we could at least remove some of its adventages... :x and many people wouldn't lame with camping anymore.

m00`
November 11, 2005, 8:58 pm
there shouldnt be an option, TFS suggested a long time ago that the scope should be removed completly, i support that

Bugs Revenge
November 11, 2005, 9:33 pm
well , the scope is cool for the newbis and still attracting them to the game but when u become pro and got a clan it's just becoming lame..
but yeah, removing it completly would be good as well :D

MisterX
November 11, 2005, 10:05 pm
I'd be fine with an option to turn it off, just like with the sniperline. In fair, "skilled" clanwars it is of no use anyway, because camping won't be seen there. If there are campers, then it isn't "fair, "skilled"" ;) But since it's a fun part of the game for many people, I doubt MM would completely remove it, anyway. But yea, an option: fine.

DragonSlayer
November 11, 2005, 10:18 pm
I also agree about the option, but I don't think it should be taken away completely.

Psyl3ntShad0w
November 11, 2005, 11:36 pm
some thoughts...

i agree that it should be an option...i would be suprised if people didn't.

would this be default settings(sniper line disabled)? Would it count as weapon mod? Like in the lobby? excuse my inability to communicate...i've been up since 6am working on accounting homework.

KnOt
November 12, 2005, 1:54 am
I believe that the barret's scope can be used skillfully / tactically.. I use barret for sniping flaggers on ctf_Laos for instance.. I do agree that just camping with it is lame.. But you can't just remove the scope :l

I'd rather people used barrets to snipe people then to charge in and point and click ;Q

Vijchtidoodah
November 12, 2005, 2:42 am
Instead of completely getting rid of the scope, why not just even things out?

I'm against binking the barret more (although, adding more severe and longer lasting bink when the barret is scoped would be the easiest solution), so the alternative that seems the most appropriate would be to add some funk to the camper's aim when he's hit. For instance, every time he's shot while zoomed out his crosshair would jerk a little bit in a random direction.

This isn't as bad as bink because any skilled player can learn to quickly compensate for the jerkiness, and the barret is suddenly a weapon that takes skill to play instead of having the stigma of being a "noob" weapon. Not only that, but the people who complain about its unfairness and the ones who want more realism in the game are all satisfied at once.

Boxo
November 12, 2005, 2:56 am
MM could just add a "scope" boolean to the WM's. Yay for more moddability.

As far as balance goes, i've never found sniping to be a problem with the barret. That's the way it's supposed to be used, you can counter it. Barret-assaulters who just run at you are worse ("charge in and point-and-click.").

I'm all for Vijchtidoodahs random-cursor-jerkage idea. It would make sniping harder but useful for more skilled barretards.

Bugs Revenge
November 12, 2005, 3:05 pm
You realy don't get the point..
Skilled barret users which are camping are just UNBEATABLE... you can't kill them coz they'r always changing their spots, and when u'r coming near them(without even seeing them) you'r dead already.
It's so annoying and besides, why not just removing the scope from CWs? this weapon is OVERPOWERED already. :(

Rambo_6
November 13, 2005, 12:10 am
A sniper without a scope....

Because that's authentic :P

Michal
November 13, 2005, 12:35 am
The scope should stay, otherwise it's not really a sniper weapon. I don't regularly use the Barrett, but I think the scope adds to the gameplay.

I think Boxo's idea for WM scope values is best, if it's not wanted then just disable it.
It would be nice if every weapon had the possibility for zoom in the WM, it would open up many more modding possibilities...

Bugs Revenge
November 13, 2005, 4:29 am
Look, we have no nerf it somehow, so do u want more campers or not campers at all? :x

Vijchtidoodah
November 13, 2005, 4:45 am
If you really wanted to nerf it, you could make it so that it wouldn't immediately kill someone, but any other damage would leave them dead. That way, the other player might at least have a chance, while the camper would have to switch to socom or law and chase after them. This would make the barret just about as effective as the m79.

But again, I'm against lowering it's damage or binking it more.

The Geologist
November 13, 2005, 5:33 am
An interesting proposition Vijch. Yet, as far as this topic stands thus far, I'm against removing the scope. As far as the barret is concerned, it seems to me like removing the scope would be rather backwards in terms of the gun. It is strong, true, but I think that those who run around and pop off barret shots are of more concern than those who actually use the barret (imo) properly. An option to remove it, for CWs and other matches that don't depend on scope, would be a better route imo, as would making it a modable option like Boxos suggestion.

Dark_Noddy
November 13, 2005, 7:16 pm
I'm against removing hte Scope, adding scope=1/0 to WM would be nice tho :) If anything should be done with the barret I'd like to see the cursor removed while walking (or while standing up) I for one dont think the barret is any problem as it is.. But I wouldnt object if it was nerfed (as it seems most ppl think its overpowerd)

Spectral
November 13, 2005, 9:03 pm
I would like the option to remove the scope, and with a greater bink added. Vijch's proposal seems too outlandish

Vijchtidoodah
November 13, 2005, 9:27 pm
Which one, the jerkiness or the less damage one?

grand_diablo
November 13, 2005, 10:11 pm
Im for keeping the scope, yet I support the option of having it disabled in the weapon/serversettings.

I also like the idea of having the barreter's cursor randomly move around a bit once he uses the scope, that might solve the problem better than uberbinking it.

Avskum
November 13, 2005, 10:51 pm
quote:Originally posted by Boxo
As far as balance goes, i've never found sniping to be a problem with the barret. That's the way it's supposed to be used, you can counter it. Barret-assaulters who just run at you are worse ("charge in and point-and-click.").

That's gotta be some twisted finnish irony.
You've been camping and ruining enough gathers to realize there's no good way in countering a camper (in ctf).
quote:Originally posted by KnOtI believe that the barret's scope can be used skillfully / tactically.. I use barret for sniping flaggers on ctf_Laos for instance.. I do agree that just camping with it is lame.. But you can't just remove the scope :l

I'd rather people used barrets to snipe people then to charge in and point and click ;Q

You're quite a threat to the fast paced action game of Soldat.
quote:Originally posted by grand_diabloIm for keeping the
I also like the idea of having the barreter's cursor randomly move around a bit once he uses the scope, that might solve the problem better than uberbinking it.

I support that.

Psyl3ntShad0w
November 13, 2005, 11:19 pm
hmm having the scope randomly move works for me...it would be like...bink by breathing...kind of like what they have in that hitman game...you zoom in and your scope moves around because you're breating...i think theres a function to hold your breath so you don't move as much but you can die if you hold it too long...but i dont remember lol...i'd like to see a lot of selfkill snipers :-P (note im not suggesting an option to be able to hold your breath...i just agree that the cursor should move)

Dark_Noddy
November 13, 2005, 11:26 pm
The best sulotion this far would be the moving scope :) (^ - that one)
Edit:
However that wont remove the "running around and popping asses" bareters.. But It would be the best sulotion regarding the scope imho

Bugs Revenge
November 14, 2005, 3:15 am
Well sounds fine to me, just need MM to aprove it :X

Michal Marcinkowski
November 14, 2005, 1:29 pm
The scope is a cool newbie thing. I discovered that I don't use it at all from some time. I don't think it needs a change.

Bugs Revenge
November 15, 2005, 4:25 pm
And what about the lamers that do use it? and lame with it? :\

Chakra`
November 16, 2005, 3:41 pm
quote:Originally posted by Michal MarcinkowskiThe scope is a cool newbie thing.

I completly agree!

Which is why we need to keep it , for the NEWBIES.
You know I love you guv, you and your fuzzy hair.
But you're a twat.

Now what I like the 2 suggestions, the moving curser and the option to remove the scope.
Maybe even do both?

And to all of you [CENSORED]tards who keep moaning for reality issues.
Just so you know, it takes months of training to know how to use a sniper rifle from long distance!
A moving curser sounds just right for that matter.

Michal Marcinkowski
November 16, 2005, 4:22 pm
//You know I love you guv, you and your fuzzy hair.
Hehe, I'm even fuzzier right now.

Do we really need to change this scope thing? I don't want to.

// it takes months of training to know how to use a sniper rifle from long distance!
I don't know... I held a Dragunov in my hands and I swear if there were bullets inside I would have immediate headshots ;).

Bugs Revenge
November 16, 2005, 6:43 pm
"Do we really need to change this scope thing? I don't want to."
well, I'd realy recommanded to do it, it would make less matches being ruined..
but if you don't want so never mind ;) it's ur game afterall.. :D