( search forums )
1.3.1 Balancing OPTIONS
Soldat Forums - Misc - Soldat Beta Testing
DragonSlayer
November 12, 2005, 4:13 pm
THIS IS A VERY LONG TOPIC, I KNOW. But please read through it and contribute, this is important for Soldat. This topic doesn't include anything about bug fixes.

Okay, I know I'm new here and I don't know about everything you guys have been discussing about, but I have been talking about the balance and other things with the other beta testers here on beta testing forums and especially on IRC. I have gathered some ideas people have suggested to balance Soldat. Please tell which option you would prefer for each weapon, or if you have something else in your mind, share your thoughts. You can also talk about general balancing ideas here. For example, how to stop spraying.

NOTICE: I'm not giving any numbers here how much the weapon damage or such should be changed. That has to be tested.

GENERAL BALANCING ISSUES:

SPRAY: Okay, as most of us know, spray has been a noticeable problem in Soldat ever since 1.2.1. Soldat 1.3 already corrected spray a lot, but I still think it's a major problem and something has to be done about it. I have already mentioned this in the other topic but I want to include it here as well. And I hope others will also share their thoughts.

I think that we should include this so called "the further you shoot, the less damage your bullets deal" feature. I'm pretty sure Soldat already has this, but it doesn't really affect spray in any way right now. It HAS to be noticeable. It HAS to make spraying worse. So, I suggest that EVERY AUTO, SEMI-AUTO (Spas could be exception) AND MAYBE EVEN SOCOM will have this feature. If you shoot outside the screen, your bullets will start doing clearly less damage. Especially when you shoot really far with weapons like Minimi, Ruger or Ak. A lot of players find spraying very lame and although it's good anti-camping tactic, it's also too good to deal damage before you even SEE your opponent. So, in conclusion, spray should make less damage but still work for binking.

WEAPON BALANCING ISSUES:

Primaries:

--Desert Eagles:

1. Keep the Deagles as they are now. Some people think they are fine now, and they will be slightly better because some other weapons will be nerfed.

2. Add a bit more damage. Deagles are clearly not as good as they were in 1.2.1, and not that many use Deagles anymore. Adding a bit more damage could make Deagles a bit more popular.

What I think: I think Deagles could have slightly more power. If the distance will affect the damage (anti-spray method), it will be even more fine.

--HK Mp5:

People think HK is probably the most overpowered weapon at the moment, so I'm not even going to include the option that it should be left as it is now.

1. Reduce the damage.

2. Reduce the damage and make the reload a bit longer.

What I think: I think that the reload time is fine, but it definitely needs to deal less damage.

--AK-74:

1. It's fine, keep the AK as it is now.

2. Reduce the damage but only slightly.

What I think: I think the damage is fine, especially if we'll use the anti-spray method.

--Steyr AUG:

No one has said that Steyr AUG is not balanced and I think that as well, so I really don't have anything to say here. I think that if possible, we should keep the weapons as they are now. Steyr AUG is such case.

--SPAS:

1. Spas is already good, no balancing here.

2. Add slightly more damage and/or kickback.

What I think: I think either is fine. Spas needs skill, and in hands of a good player, it's a deadly weapon.

--Ruger:

1. Reduce the damage a bit, so it only kills with two head shots or head- and torso shot.

2. Reduce the damage a bit and/or add reload time.

What I think: Well, I'm not sure how the ruger damage works in 1.3 but I do think it is overpowered. I don't know would making the reload time even longer make it too bad, but I think some damage reducing needs to be done here. I'd say less damage and same reload time or then REALLY slight damage reducement and slightly longer reload time.

--M79:

1. If you shoot someone with M79 in close range, and the split damage hits the m79 user, the m79 user should die as well. And if not die, at least greatly increase the split damage to the user, and USER ONLY, so you'll die for sure if you are really close to your opponent. And you'll lose a lot of health even if you are just in the range of split damage.

2. M79 doesn't need any changes.

3. You have to hold the button a bit to shoot with it (like LAW).

4. Don't make it one-hit kill but increase the split damage.

What I think: Okay, I want to make something clear. I'm strongly against options three and four. I think they would make M79 seriously underpowered. It's already the hardest primary to use because the long range shots need a lot of skill and predicting. It also has the worst range when it comes to primaries. In clan wars and such, M79 is often at disadvantage against autos, barret or even semis. Keeping it one-hit kill is a must, and I don't think holding the button is a good idea either, since predicting is hard enough as it is. The problem is how easy it's to kill when you are very close to your opponent, and I think 1st option fixes this to some extent.

--Barret:

1. When you are standing or moving, the cursor will be larger so it's harder to aim and hit. When you are crouching/proning, you have to HOLD THE BUTTON FOR A SHORT MOMENT (like law) to shoot. You have to hold it ONLY WHEN CROUCHING/PRONING.

2. Same as first option, but instead of cursor getting larger, completely disable the cursor unless you are crouching/proning.

3. Same as first option, but instead of cursor getting larger, just make the Barret even more inaccurate while moving.

4. Forget all the other crap and just make a similar hold the button feature as the LAW has, no matter are you standing or crouching/proning.

5. Make the bullets go slower but increase the damage. This way it'll be harder to hit but it'll still do enough damage when you shoot far.

6. Make Barret shoot slower when you aren't crouching or proning so it'll be harder to hit and bullets will deal less damage. Also include the hold the button to shoot feature (like in LAW) when crouching/proning.

What I think: I like the first option. The fact that you have to hold the button a bit when you are crouching and proning will definitely work against camping and it's a good thing. Barret will take a bit more skill and some predicting as well. Especially close range shots won't be so ridiculously easy anymore. I also think it's good that the cursor is larger when moving. Good Barret users still can kill with it, but at least it'll be a bit harder. I also like options 4. and 6., but I prefer 1..

--Minimi:

Again, definitely overpowered gun which is also very annoying, especially when used for spraying.

1. Reduce the damage.

2. Add reload time.

3. Reduce the damage AND add reload time.

4. Smaller clip and maybe less damage.

What I think: I think the reload time is fine, but bullets have to be less powerful. Also, having a smaller clip could be a good idea but I think it's fine either way. Just reduce the damage please.

--Minigun:

1. Keep the Minigun as it is now.

2. Make the surfing slightly better, but not like in 1.2.1.

What I think: I think surfing was rather cool in 1.2.1. While some people didn't like it, I still think it wasn't anything too bad especially because it's not exactly the best weapon for killing. I think that keeping the Minigun as it is now or making it slightly better for surfing should be fine.

Secondaries:

--Socom:

1. Decrease the damage a bit.

2. Keep the socom as it is now, no changes please.

What I think: I'm in favor of the second option if the knife won't be nerfed. If knife will be nerfed, Socom should ne nerfed as well.

--Knife:

1. When you switch to knife, you'll have to wait a short moment before you can throw it. This way knife won't be as good for spawn killing anymore and you can't get cheap kills too easily.

2. Leave the knife as it is.

3. When you throw the knife, you have to "charge" it like nades.

What I think: I personally think knife is fine already. it already takes some time to switch to knife and it's only cheap in close range. Even law can be cheap in close range. Saw and socom kill fast and they have mor range, so I don't think nerfing knife is necessary. However, if you guys think knife should be nerfed, I think the first option sounds reasonable. I think the 3rd option would completely ruin knife, and I don't like the sound of it one bit.

--Chainsaw:

1. Add more ammo/fuel and make it longer so it has more range.

2. Add even more ammo/fuel but keep the current length.

What I think: I think either option is fine. In any case, chainsaw should be buffed a bit.

--LAW:

1. The LAW is good now, don't change it.

2. Make the reload 1/3 faster or so

What I think: The hold button feature was good for LAW. It's still relatively easy to kill with and has good range. It could have slightly faster reload so I'm going with option 2 here.

--------

Well, that's it. I hope this topic wasn't waste. :p

Bugs Revenge
November 12, 2005, 6:57 pm
the further you shoot, the less damage your bullets deal --> this is installed already, but not realy noticeable.. In my oppionion we should make it more noticeable :x MM could you do something about it?

now about the weapons...
First of all **Degels**, I'm for the 1st option, leave it as they are now, since it shouldn't kill at two shots and it's just perfect now.

*HK Mp5* should be nerfed a bit.. yeah for num1.

*ak* option num 2..

*styre* fine..

*spas* a little less dmg in my oppinion

*ruger* add fire interval (more time from bullets and we wanted it to be)

*m79* first of all no charge time
2 option - let it be

*barret* no charge up time, just remove scope atm.

*minimi - less dmg a bit.

*succom no changes

*knife as we wanted it.. ( can't explain it )

*law - don't change it.

Psyl3ntShad0w
November 12, 2005, 7:38 pm
numbers coorespond with weapon...1=deagles duh.

1-I like them as is now, i figure if pretty much every weapon is getting nerfed it'll seem stronger.
2-either option is fine
3-option 1(ak is fine)
4-it's fine
5-spas is fine
6-either option is fine...i also agree that it is overpowered.
7-im for any of the options but 4.
8-i could go for anything here as long as it is significantly nerfed...i would rather see newbies picking up an AK before they progress to the 1 hit kill weapons.
9-reduced damage sounds good...although i don't really see that many people use this weapon anymore.
0-keep it as is. it's a tough weapon to use but once you get the hang of it...it can be quite effective...and it's tough enough so that most people dont pick it up because they find it relatively useless.

socom-it's fine for me
knife-option 1 or 3...it needs to be changed imo.
chainsaw-it's fine...
law-it's fine...i would prefer less startup time but it doesn't really bother me

Taxista
November 12, 2005, 8:08 pm
the further you shoot, the less damage your bullets deal --> im also up to make it more noticeable.

Deagles - Number 1. Because imo, only eagle spraying is annoying, what would be corrected if the distance affects more noticeable the damage.

HK Mp5 - Number 1. I think reload time is good.

AK - Number 2. I think that the damage needs to be reduced VERY VERY slighty.

Steyr - No changes.

Spas - No changes.

Ruger - Im up for bugs suggestion. More time between shots. Ruger already needs 2 head, or 1 head 1 torso, or 2 torso, or 1 torso 2 legs, or 3 legs.

M79 - Number 1. It needs more changes but i dont think 3, neither 4 will fit in it.

Barret - Number 2. I have been playing with barret without cursor (try it), and i dont find it as hard as i expected, u only have to watch to ur gun to see where are u aiming at, before u shot with it. But this would bring more camping for sure. With this we would need another change to prevent camping, but it wouldnt be used as an assault rifle that easy anymore.

Minimi - Number 1.

Minigun - No changes.

Succom - No changes.

Knife - Number1. Yeah knife really need to be changed, i think that delay time at least should be implemented when u spawn, to prevent that cheap kills.

Chainsaw - No changes.

Law - No changes.

DragonSlayer
November 13, 2005, 7:49 pm
Bugs' suggestion about Ruger is the best, actually. I agree with it.

quote:Barret - Number 2. I have been playing with barret without cursor (try it), and i dont find it as hard as i expected, u only have to watch to ur gun to see where are u aiming at, before u shot with it. But this would bring more camping for sure. With this we would need another change to prevent camping, but it wouldnt be used as an assault rifle that easy anymore.
How about adding that delay to barret if you are crouching/proning. of course you could still stand still... so delay if you aren't moving? I mean, not vertically or horizontally. Totally stopped, no movement in any way.

And yeah, I agree about knife, like I said earlier.

I think I'll agree with Taxista's list.

Nukem
November 17, 2005, 7:11 pm
quote:Originally posted by Taxistathe further you shoot, the less damage your bullets deal --> im also up to make it more noticeable.

would be great. dunno if its possbile though

MP5: dont alter the reload time, that is what makes the mp5 special... maybe reduce dmg a bit, but just a bit.

M79: lower dmg to the old value, boosting is too strong. maybe stronger bink effect?

Barret: removing the crosshair would just bring ppl do make little dots on their screens... this is what happend in all the realistic fps without crosshair. maybe stronger bink effect?

MisterX
November 17, 2005, 7:27 pm
quote:Originally posted by NukemBarret: removing the crosshair would just bring ppl do make little dots on their screens... this is what happend in all the realistic fps without crosshair. maybe stronger bink effect?
You know, in Soldat you can move your crosshair all around the screen - a dot on the monitor wouldn't really make sense ;)

Cookie.
November 17, 2005, 7:40 pm
"Barret: removing the crosshair would just bring ppl do make little dots on their screens... this is what happend in all the realistic fps without crosshair. maybe stronger bink effect?"

I love sticky tac for doing that in CS lol! ^_^

Deleted User
November 17, 2005, 8:07 pm
I think the MP5 is the only weapon I'd like to see a tiny weeny bit weakened. Everything else kicks ass.

Nukem
November 17, 2005, 11:56 pm
quote:Originally posted by MisterXquote:Originally posted by NukemBarret: removing the crosshair would just bring ppl do make little dots on their screens... this is what happend in all the realistic fps without crosshair. maybe stronger bink effect?
You know, in Soldat you can move your crosshair all around the screen - a dot on the monitor wouldn't really make sense ;)

no comment that was my first thought and it was well... great -.-
just had the feeling that ppl will find a way to cheat here, of course it cant be done with a dot, but some programs may help

well, besides that i also think this woudl be a great idea for the realisctic mode. but for the normal mode, i dont think so...

DragonSlayer
November 18, 2005, 9:11 am
After thinking about things a bit, I don't think that we should start messing around with balance too much, actually. Or rather, the gameplay. So I suggest that if we are going to do something about controversial weapons like Barret, let's keep it simple. A delay would be simple enough. Everything else sounds a bit extreme, in a way.