( search forums )
Codename: Pyrosoldier
Soldat Forums - Misc - Soldat Beta Testing
Elephant_Hunter
November 18, 2005, 6:54 pm
Soldat Resource

A while ago, lapiz and I were talking about starting up a Soldat Resource site with downloads for the greatest resources available to the community. The recent talk of officially-sponsored maps and such has got me thinking, I'd much prefer to host official maps.

Just yesterday I bought the domain soldatresource.com. The site is currently blank because I have to go to school soon, but later I will upload what I have finished of Soldat Resource.

I'd be very appreciative if there are any PHP/MySQL/Javascript developers willing to help out. Parts of the site need remodeling, but nothing too awful major. So I could do it myself over maybe a few weeks. PM or meet me in IRC.

What do you guys think of this?

Deleted User
November 18, 2005, 7:04 pm
Great idea :D I'm willing to help with anything - map descriptions and reviews and stuff maybe.

Michal Marcinkowski
November 18, 2005, 7:52 pm
I will gladly help you too, not with the technical side, but logistics or sth.

DragonSlayer
November 19, 2005, 8:19 am
Aw well, most of you guys don't know about this since we have only talked about this on irc, but I have been working on a site like this with ramirez (my brother, he is doing all the php and coding) for some time now. It should be ready by now but ramirez's pc has broken twice since then and school has slowed down the progress as well. Anyway, we have already bought a domain, our layout is ready and coding is pretty far too. We've planned the site for months and we got almost full staff so it's sure we're going to make this site. I suppose we'll have two sites then.

http://soldatcentral.net/index.php (it's a bit outdated version, the index page has changed and the whole left menu isn't there)

Although we aren't aiming to do any "official" resource site. We'll have any resources we can get. Although if we're going to have some "official map pack", we'll surely have a category for those official maps. :o

Anyway, we are aiming to create all-around Soldat site with clan and player database as well. Screenshots, demos, movies and stuff like that. Information about on-going tournaments and all kind of stuff we can come up with.

Still, it's a good idea. I suppose it'll be clearer to have a site for the official stuff only, if that's what you are aiming to do. So, I wish you luck with the project.

Deleted User
November 19, 2005, 12:42 pm
Elephant Hunter! I was just thinking about this.

I definitely agree with all you said, and I am glad there is interest here. I'd like to incorporate an idea on the forums, where an occaisonal "official" map-pack is made every so often (month? three months?), and a few other things. I don't know much PHP/MySQL, not enough to code it, but I can work with pre-existing code well enough to fumble about.

I know I'm lifeless enough to sort through the forums and websites to find content at least.

Rambo_6
November 19, 2005, 8:09 pm
llsc.us/sechs was meant to be sorta like that. Unfortunately i didn't have the time to make it such a great site.

Hope this site works out. :D

Social Poison
November 19, 2005, 8:45 pm
I've been learning PHP and I get paid to do web design (woot woot). I'd certainly be up for lending a hand to this project :)

Deleted User
November 25, 2005, 3:24 pm
quote:Originally posted by Rambo_6
Hope this site works out. :D

Ain't gonna happen unless we do something about it. Elephant Hunter, whats happening about www.soldatresource.com - are you still working on it and planning to upload what you have so far of the site?

I think people should start thinking about the idea of an official mappack too...suggestions of maps to add and whatnot.

Boxo
November 25, 2005, 4:10 pm
I hope something comes out of this and it doesn't die like the many other similar soldat sites there've been. The official mappack especially is an interesting idea. To begin with, someone should start a thread (public, or in the beta forum) for people to suggest maps in. Then, a group of testers would pick out the best ones and compose a mappack.

Rambo_6
November 26, 2005, 1:42 am
quote:Originally posted by Stalky
I think people should start thinking about the idea of an official mappack too...suggestions of maps to add and whatnot.

Mmmmm...

Needs a new thread :}

Elephant_Hunter
November 26, 2005, 10:54 am
I'm working on this every day now. Yuk is helping with PHP and VichtDoodah with Flash. FliesLikeABrick and I were planning to merge our user databases. There's a lot of changes being made to the site. It's built entirely on true xhtml 1.1 although I've modified it to have support for IE (a real nuisance, but I know a lot of people use their grandmother's computers to play Soldat.)

I agree that it's a good idea to create a separate thread to talk about an official map pack. I wouldn't want my work to interfere or slow down with any plans you may have. Personally, I am a big fan of ctf_swamp by Soap.

Stalky: The entire site is uploaded, but I purposefully didn't make the root of soldatresource.com point to anything yet because it's constantly under development. Talk to me on IRC if you want to see what I'm doing on it right now and some concept art I've made.

Boxo: No worries. The way the site is built it would be hard for it to just "die". As long as people make maps or an official map pack exists there shouldn't be any problems. I'm confident this will be successful.

m00`
November 26, 2005, 11:05 am
YAH #m00net IS ALSO HELPING IN THE PRODUCTION OF THIS SITE, AINT IT GREAT? I SUGGEST SIGNING UP LOL

http://m00.u13.net

...dam

Deleted User
November 26, 2005, 11:06 am
quote:Originally posted by Elephant_HunterStalky: The entire site is uploaded, but I purposefully didn't make the root of soldatresource.com point to anything yet because it's constantly under development. Talk to me on IRC if you want to see what I'm doing on it right now and some concept art I've made.

Can't access IRC on my university network. Added you to MSN.