( search forums )
Soldat Prototype - making a soldat game
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Developers Corner
shmakland
November 25, 2005, 4:19 am
It's just a prototype right now, but hopefully I can make it better when I have time.

Right now it has ragdolls, friction, and megaman-style jumping on vertical beams. Let me know what you think :)

Use UP, LEFT, RIGHT to control the ball.
Hold the left mouse button to make the ragdolls move toward the mouse.

Download:
[URL]

Screenshot:
[IMAGE]

Koon
November 25, 2005, 4:22 am
um, the link asks me for a login password.

Deleted User
November 25, 2005, 4:22 am
Me too.

shmakland
November 25, 2005, 4:23 am
Fixed, about the link

Deleted User
November 25, 2005, 4:38 am
umm well it certainly isnt soldat, good luck with that

Koon
November 25, 2005, 4:38 am
Cool, im sure this could be turned into something useful.

FliesLikeABrick
November 25, 2005, 5:10 am
(moved to developers corner)

Deleted User
November 25, 2005, 5:22 am
Awesome! Its pretty cool how you can impale them on the walls- don't remove that, because if they get impaled they still behave realistically and not buggy.

Make it so that the ragdolls collide with the ball and then I'd be really impressed.

Echo_Trail
November 25, 2005, 7:16 am
Nice going, hombré.. it might not be soldat, but hey, we don't really need another soldat, do we?!
I think it.. cute? :O

Swebonny
November 25, 2005, 4:03 pm
Wow thats damn cool :D

rabidhamster
November 25, 2005, 4:17 pm
great physics. this could becaome something... maybe a stress reliever game? eh?

shmakland
November 25, 2005, 4:53 pm
Thanks for giving it a try, my original intent was to making something like Hitman or Megaman Soldat-style. Or perhaps River City Ransom Soldat-style :)

The feeling I get is that another Soldat game is unecessary, but a different take on Soldat such as single player would be more to this community's liking.

I'm open for suggestions, it'd be great to have you guys give input about possible visual styles, storyline, and gameplay. Something I'll definately do is make a playground mode in addition to the actual game; the features of the playground is pretty much limitless and will hopefully be good for quick stress relief as rabidhamster points out.

Deleted User
November 25, 2005, 5:53 pm
If you want help with any storyline, just give me a call. I can make an awesome plot on the drop of a hat :D

Deleted User
November 25, 2005, 8:56 pm
wow very sweet and different. Plus well done on the ragdolls there fun to watch move around. Wow cool the ball can climb walls

N1nj@
November 25, 2005, 9:50 pm
the megaman climbing is sick =) keep it up

Deleted User
November 25, 2005, 10:10 pm
It's nice,
alltough the ragdoll needs some adjustments.

shmakland
November 26, 2005, 1:02 am
Yeah the ragdolls need to be tweaked but I won't pay much attention to that until I put in the core game mechanics. Next update I hope to have some basic animation and weapons. Once I get through the coming week I can work on this more.

Sgt.Beaver your avatar looks cool, I can see it as a scene in my game. Like an Indiana Jones game with knife, socom, and kicks and punches against zombies and vampires. Or maybe something more upbeat :) But I'm liking the small weapon set (and megaman jump of course). Can you come up with anything based on that, Officer_Bulbock or anyone else?

rabidhamster
November 26, 2005, 1:21 am
please note that it runs very slow on older computers (192MB RAM, pentium 3, 450mhz).

shmakland
November 26, 2005, 1:41 am
Hey thanks for letting me know that it runs slow on old computers. I should have mentioned that it requires a video card that supports OpenGL, although if this becomes a big enough issue I can pretty easily take out this requirement so that it runs well on even old computers.

The drawback is that lighting effects such as vertex color probably won't be available if I do not use OpenGL. Also, I am inclined to not use DirectX because I want the game to work on Macs, Windows, and Linux.

Elephant_Hunter
November 26, 2005, 1:45 am
I impaled my rag doll creature on a white pole! Nice. I really like the way this program looks, and the focus on single-player. Keep up the good work.

pongo
November 27, 2005, 4:34 pm
very very nice

Hoodlum
November 27, 2005, 5:05 pm
quote:Originally posted by Sgt. BeaverIt's nice,
alltough the ragdoll needs some adjustments.

shmakland
November 28, 2005, 4:42 pm
I have finals this week, I won't be able to work on it until Thursday, 12/1.

edak
November 30, 2005, 2:00 am
i think the physics are great, keep working!

dabookshah
December 2, 2005, 5:37 am
It's a really good start, you could make something out of this.

The physics are good but could do with improvement.

EDIT: What would be REALLY cool would be if you could make the ragdolls stand up and walk around with consistent physics - Physically realistic i mean. now THAT would be something

shmakland
December 7, 2005, 1:55 am
Just a quick update -- it will take me a few more days before I can work on this. I'm finishing off some projects at my job.

nfsjunkie91
December 9, 2005, 2:59 pm
If at all possible, do you think you could implement a fps limiter? because on mine it runs a 232 fps on avergae, and it would be nice if i coulod restrict to 100, 85, or something.

good job on this by the way, one thing i also noticed, if u get a guy to go flying down the 2nd veritcal pole from th eleft, he will get stuck, because his body wraps around another pole :S
any way, like i said, good job.

shmakland
December 18, 2005, 9:54 am
Ok so here's some brainstorming I'm working on.
I could use some feedback. BTW, the code is coming along nicely
but will take a little longer to make a nice prototype because I'm
in the design and architecture phase right now.

So the image below is the brainstorming I've done for game ideas:
[URL]

nfsjunkie91: Yeah FPS limiter is definately planned. Also, I will put more care into laying out the terrain next time :P

numgun
December 18, 2005, 10:03 am
wow! looks like MM is gonna have a competion <-(how u spell that word?) :P

Swebonny
December 18, 2005, 11:51 am
WOW look great :D

vash763
December 18, 2005, 12:18 pm
quote:Originally posted by shmaklandbecause I want the game to work on Macs, Windows, and Linux.

Not working for you. Even if it doesn't use DirectX how am i supposed to open this .exe?!

shmakland
December 18, 2005, 2:21 pm
vash763: I mean that I can easily make a Mac and Linux version because I'm using crossplatform libraries. When I have the time I will do so, my college has Mac and Linux computers. But if I were you I'd just wait until the next version; let's see if I can have a new version for you guys as a holiday present =)

Deleted User
December 19, 2005, 2:33 am
I think the game would be awesome if it concentrated on single-player "duels" against the computer. None of this "mowing down enemy after enemy" business, but you would have to think about how to take down your enemy, whether he's really fast, has loads of firepower, is really big or whatever.

ALways wanted a game like that.

rabidhamster
December 19, 2005, 7:04 am
^maybe some diversity, a little of what you said, and a litle of what he had in mind.

btw shmakland, you're gonna get bored of this really fast. trust me, it's just something that happens. i haven't finished a game in almost two years now, becaus i keep on saying "this game sucks," and then i come up ith a better idea. sounds good at first, until it's been over a year with no progress.

EDIT: good luck though.

numgun
December 19, 2005, 4:40 pm
rabidhamster, SHUT-THE-[CENSORED]-UP!
if u keep saying ''this game sux'' u will never get anywhere!
and shmakland might be completely a different person than u.
maybe he actually means it, that he is gonna make this game.
so once again, rabidhamster, SHUT-THE-[CENSORED]-UP!

I reeeally wanna see this game, ecspecially if it has a single player mode.
btw, it would be cool if u make it moddable (make/edit weapons and stuff).
good luck dude ;D

vash763
December 19, 2005, 10:16 pm
quote:Originally posted by shmaklandvash763: I mean that I can easily make a Mac and Linux version because I'm using crossplatform libraries. When I have the time I will do so, my college has Mac and Linux computers. But if I were you I'd just wait until the next version; let's see if I can have a new version for you guys as a holiday present =)

ah I see, thanks man!

m00`
December 19, 2005, 10:44 pm
quote:Originally posted by Officer_BulbockI think the game would be awesome if it concentrated on single-player "duels" against the computer. None of this "mowing down enemy after enemy" business, but you would have to think about how to take down your enemy, whether he's really fast, has loads of firepower, is really big or whatever.

yah like shoot the legs of an enemy to be able destroy his body, put lots of strategies into the game as single player duels :p

Kaider
December 19, 2005, 11:38 pm
quote:Originally posted by m00`quote:Originally posted by Officer_BulbockI think the game would be awesome if it concentrated on single-player "duels" against the computer. None of this "mowing down enemy after enemy" business, but you would have to think about how to take down your enemy, whether he's really fast, has loads of firepower, is really big or whatever.

yah like shoot the legs of an enemy to be able destroy his body, put lots of strategies into the game as single player duels :p

^^^^^ I agree with these here people ^-^ ^^^^^

Saint-Cross
December 20, 2005, 3:14 pm
I've gotten them in several weird positions, like one I've impaled their arms, legs, and body on two posts at once.It's awsome. :P

Da cHeeSeMaN
December 20, 2005, 3:59 pm
i love how they can get impaled but theres needs to be like a score or something the games needs a concept...

shmakland
December 21, 2005, 7:28 pm
Just a heads up, features you can realistically expect in the next release are:
1) Animations.
2) Weapon aiming.
3) Weapon shooting.
4) Centered camera.
5) Lingering baddies that turn to ragdolls when dead.
and maaaybe weapon pickups.

numgun: I plan to make things moddable.

Officer_Bulbock, m00`, Kaider: Sounds like a boss to me; I'd like to have a bit of both. And could you explain more about possible strategies? What happens if you shoot off his leg? Would he be completely vulnerable after that? Or would there be more than one of him to make things more challenging?

Da_cHeeSeMaN: Working on it :) Once I get this next version out I will draw some mockups.

KeFear
December 21, 2005, 11:14 pm
i think if you for example shoot one's leg, he wouldn't die, but he could crawl on the ground and still shoot you, of course far less accurately.

Deleted User
December 22, 2005, 3:28 am
Sounds awesome Shak! :D
What I meant was, like a game which had only bosses, if you get what I mean. It would make a change from other games where you just run around gunning down weak enemies. Some ideas could be:

1. Giant strider-ish monster
Like those monsters in HL2 and War of the worlds, this guy would be a giant three-legged monster. You would fight him in a hellish terminator-esque future. It would be a large, open arena with a single tunnel running underneath it that comes up at certain places. It would attack you with a large chaingun and rocket launcher, and would attack you in the tunnel by shoving its thin-but-large through the ground at high speed- possible spearing you. You would defeat him by simply filling his body with machine-gun fire. But if you blow off one of his legs at the "hinge" its slows down, blow off another and falls onto the ground- but can still shred you if you're not careful.
YOu would be armed with a machine-gun and a rocket launcher.
This guy would be bloody hard to do, I imagine, but would look just incredible in-game.

Rambo/guerrilla guy
A single guy with a knife and AK 47 and some mines. You face him in a map thats around the size of Cambodia, and is a jungle.swamp enviroment. He would fight you normally, but after a certain amount of hits he'll run off to "recover", and be at full health again after a while if you don't get him. At close range he'll make a charge with a knife, and he'll periodacally lay a mine.
You'll be armed with the same equiptment as him, and he'll go for certain hidden spots when he's hurt, so you can plant mines where you think he'll go :>

Both of these ideas would be as hard to do as hell, but your game would be something very special, don't you think?

Deleted User
December 22, 2005, 3:31 am
Your signature is nont funny and is breaking the rules.

Deleted User
December 22, 2005, 3:44 am
Okay, I was wondering whether or not that was so. I'll remove the picture.

*snip*

Deowin
December 23, 2005, 8:49 pm
This orange that I faced in the (PM) server? lol, interesting project

shmakland
January 5, 2006, 5:45 pm
Hey guys, sorry for the delay but school has started and I'll have less time to work on this.
Another reason is that I am thinking of switching the code to Java.

I'll keep you updated.

KeFear
January 5, 2006, 6:35 pm
noooo why java? it sucks hard imho.. but it's your choice

shmakland
January 5, 2006, 6:44 pm
What's wrong with Java? It has speed, portability, and ease of use.
If anything it'll make development faster. But if you do have a valid argument against
Java I'd like to hear it :)

KeFear
January 5, 2006, 7:09 pm
well, imho it takes far more resources than needed. but it may be a personal experience only.

rabidhamster
January 6, 2006, 1:01 am
i saw a java book, the beginner's guide to java or something like that. it was about 8cm thick. so if you don't know java, don't switch. plus, i really like the currnt engine. when you throw the people to the ground, they hit it in such a way that it looks like they're still alive, but barely. in order to see what i mean, throw one to the ground so he falls on his stomache. if done correctly, it looks like he's breathing very heavily.

vash763
January 8, 2006, 3:44 am
I like it now, and from my experiences java = crap slow :E

- Tek -
January 8, 2006, 5:51 am
I do like the character models, simple, but more realistic looking than soldat's.

shmakland
January 8, 2006, 5:58 pm
Alrighty I'll keep your java stigmas in mind :P
What I might do is make a prototype in java as well and let you guys report on the performance.

Tabz
January 8, 2006, 6:37 pm
nice dude cant wait :D

jettlarue
January 27, 2006, 12:19 am
u should post source code. maybe post it on sourceforge so some other people can help you with coding. :) good luck and good job.

shmakland
February 5, 2006, 6:38 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by jettlarueu should post source code. maybe post it on sourceforge so some other people can help you with coding. :) good luck and good job.

Well I was thinking of making this into a sort of dynamically generated RPG. Like a roguelike in that part of the world is generated randomly like the forest and then the cities and towns can have some structure and dialogue.

I was also thinking about making this a small shareware game, charging about the same price as Soldat. Could I get a show of hands of who'd be interested in buying such a game? Also the art I was thinking of making it either like a comic book style with few but stark colors or very vibrant and sort of cartoony graphics (think mario colors but more realistic looking characters).

Opinions please. Sorry that there has not been any updates, college is quite a busy place but I will continue working on this. Perhaps I'll make a character/animation editor for you guys to play while waiting for game updates, and if your edits are good maybe I'll use them in the game.

Anyone want to throw out a codename for this project?

Here's an example of what I mean by the stark comic booky style.
[img url="www.2and2.net/Uploads/Images/gameDoodle1.jpg"]
[/img]

shmakland
February 5, 2006, 6:44 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by jettlarueu should post source code. maybe post it on sourceforge so some other people can help you with coding. :) good luck and good job.

Well I was thinking of making this into a sort of dynamically generated RPG. Like a roguelike in that part of the world is generated randomly like the forest and then the cities and towns can have some structure and dialogue.

I was also thinking about making this a small shareware game, charging about the same price as Soldat. Could I get a show of hands of who'd be interested in buying such a game?

Also the art I was thinking of making it either like a comic book style with few but stark colors or very vibrant and sort of cartoony graphics (think mario colors but more realistic looking characters).

Opinions please. Sorry that there has not been any updates, college is quite a busy place but I will continue working on this. Perhaps I'll make a character/animation editor for you guys to play while waiting for game updates, and if your edits are good maybe I'll use them in the game.

Anyone want to throw out a codename for this project?

Here's an example of what I mean by the stark comic booky style.
[IMAGE]

vash763
February 14, 2006, 7:07 am
I really like that look.

Raptor
February 16, 2006, 12:53 am
Well, it looks pretty good for a start..

mike323
February 16, 2006, 5:36 am
aaaddddiiiiccccttttiiiinnnngggg

Deleted User
February 16, 2006, 5:00 pm
wohow! this is so much fun its freeky:D

mike323
February 27, 2006, 1:42 am
 Quote:Originally posted by shmakland Quote:Originally posted by jettlarueu should post source code. maybe post it on sourceforge so some other people can help you with coding. :) good luck and good job.

I was also thinking about making this a small shareware game, charging about the same price as Soldat. Could I get a show of hands of who'd be interested in buying such a game?

Also the art I was thinking of making it either like a comic book style with few but stark colors or very vibrant and sort of cartoony graphics (think mario colors but more realistic looking characters).

No, my opinion is keeping it like the your prototype is now. The physics engline is excellent...

PureGrain
March 4, 2006, 5:02 am
I agree with the majority. I like what you have so far. I too was starting a game similar too this but with allot more too it. Soldat related but with vehicals and other aspects of the game to make it interesting and more dependant on Multiplayer with a Single player as well. I would be interested in showing you what I have.

Please feel free to email me: sales (at) hyper-servers (dot) com

I will send you what I have.