( search forums )
Anti-Hidecamping
Soldat Forums - Misc - Soldat Beta Testing
MisterX
December 2, 2005, 9:41 pm
I don't think I'll get far with this idea here, yet I still like to mention it.
What if there is a serverside-option which makes every scenery automatically be in the background? This would prevent hidecamping and could be used for leagues like TNL, SCTFL, or clanwars in general. In my opinion hidecamping just doesn't have anything to do with fair play and is just lame. Seeing how mainly everyone here seems to be against camping in such matches, I can't think of any reason for why you should still be able to hidecamp in clanwars, as this is even worse than usual camping.
I know hidecamping isn't very common usually. But if it's done, it's just unfair and can turn a serious game for a lame clan. Is that the way it should be?

Now flame me.

LazehBoi
December 2, 2005, 9:45 pm
Hrm. It's already possible with the mapmaker, and i'm not sure if it'd be possible without altering the maps which would require them to be downloaded again anyway... right?

MisterX
December 2, 2005, 9:46 pm
Well, perhaps it could be done by adding this to the mapmaker and Soldat, and then change the original maps so this function works for them. Custom maps aren't used for usual clanwars or leagues anyway.

N1nj@
December 2, 2005, 9:49 pm
I strongly disagree. Camping is part of the game, and also hidecamping. It's not that hard to notice a person is hiding in a bush, you can always see them. If you miss them..then you are just careless.

MisterX
December 2, 2005, 9:53 pm
You can always see him? I strongly disagree ;) since that's just wrong. For example on B2b there are at least 2 to x different places you can totally hide in.
But I expected such posts. Guess I'm one of the very few players who really wants top clanwars to be totally fair, honourable, ..

m00`
December 2, 2005, 9:53 pm
quote:This would prevent hidecamping and could be used for leagues like TNL, SCTFL, or clanwars in general.

seriously, first bonuses, then minigun, then stationary guns, now scenery? Cut it out and play the dam game the way it should be and quit restricting clan wars

Michal
December 2, 2005, 9:54 pm
Hmm I don't really like this, it disturbs the 'artistic vision' of the mapper.
I also think hidecamping is just another part of the game.

MisterX
December 2, 2005, 9:56 pm
So spraying is part of the game? Bugabusing is part of the game? Any lame playing is part of the game I suppose. So I wonder why we're still working against those simple parts of the game.

grand_diablo
December 2, 2005, 10:34 pm
It always depends the way it is done. If you get hidecamped once or twice in a clanwar, you could rate it as ok. It usually doesnt even happen that much. On publics its actually more of a problem, since al lot of newbies tend to camp around in bushed. Though I dont like an anti-hidecamp option, the scenery levels are there for a reason.

MisterX
December 2, 2005, 10:38 pm
The bonusses are also there for a reason, yet they are totally senseless for balanced clanwars and therefore disabled in those. Also stationary gun is there for a reason, yet banned as well since it enforces camping which people dont like in clanwars.
And by the way: Mostly people don't hidecamp, that's true. But if they do it, they mostly do it in situations when it's "needed" if they wanna win. So mostly those hidecamps cost clans points in ctf which could make them win.
But ok, go on, I don't care. As I could recently see again, the way this game is played by many or even most players is just disappointing, it's just sad. Camping, Bugabusing, all this stuff needn't be a problem, if it weren't the players who ruin fun and fairness doing it. I give up, I just give up..

grand_diablo
December 2, 2005, 10:57 pm
bonuses are random and could cause sudden imbalance.

Sceneries usually stay at the same place, so the only thing bringing in imbalance at this point might be a badly balanced map. Statguns lead to extreme camping + lag for older pcs and they are generally quite buggy - still there are some publics who do use em.

I have seen only VERY few hidecampers in clanwars, and it only "annoyed" me once, cause it was getting extreme. Seeing that I mustve played a few hundred clanwars so far, that is quite a low percentage. I havent experienced a situation so far, where hidecamping decided the game (although it was close in that single game I mentioned above).

On publics it can indeed get annoying, but a) I only play on a few servers where I usually know and can reach the admins in case it gets too extreme (or I have admin rights myself) and b) public players usually - and especially the hidecamping ones - are usually beginners. You normally dont get killed twice by them =)

Seeing that you take our disagreement a bit too personal actually surprises me. That we dont support this idea does not mean that we support hidecamping and bugusing (which has never been in this discussion btw). The "If you don't like it you must hate it" way of thinking is a bit too simple, dont you think? Even on publics the majority of the players usually plays "normal", the percentage of campers/bugusers is just higher than in CWs - but thats the same in every online shooter. I havent heard of any 3d shooter or any other online action game where things were "set back" or made invisible cause some people complained about campers.

Tbh at this point there is no need to give up. You should better give IN instead of dragging it to an emotional level, since "balance" is a rational value. Dont be so stubborn.

Meandor
December 3, 2005, 1:25 pm
You can currently prevent hidecamping by modifying the soldat graphics (there are different ways to do it too), simple.

DragonSlayer
December 3, 2005, 1:32 pm
Never had a problem with hidecamping, just camping in general. I disagree as well.

papasurf31
December 3, 2005, 1:44 pm
Since it's an option, I don't really mind so much, seeing as I don't participate in clanwars very often. However, I think a better way to do this would be a more a dynamic approach to it. If someone hides for too long behind a certain scenery, Soldat can slowly make the scenery fade into partial transparency so he becomes visible again.

Ideally, but I don't think the current way that maps function would allow this. Then again, I don't think it would allow your idea either, MisterX.

Also, I'd like to add how similar this would be to joining a server full of wallhackers, not that it really applies to a 2d game like this. I just think it'd be annoying no to be able to hide anywhere.