( search forums )
Chainsaw balance?
Soldat Forums - Misc - Soldat Beta Testing
MisterX
December 4, 2005, 12:39 pm
So, what about this nice secondary weapon? Do you think it's fine the way it is? I rarely use it myself, but to me it seems it's just too weak for being able to compete with the other 3 secondaries. And that's also what I hear from other people.
I've heard the major problem is that often you can't kill the enemy because of the slow speed of the chainsaw.
So what do you think? And what do you think about what the chainsaw users are writing in the Weapon Balance Discussion Forums?

DragonSlayer
December 4, 2005, 1:57 pm
Chainsaw cannot be as good as the other secondaries but it needs some buffing so it can compete more.

I suggest:

it should be longer and maybe even have a bit more fuel.

I use chainsaw a lot, and it's cool to use it. The biggest problem I have with it that it honestly doesn't kill always. It's annoying, and that's why the damage should be drastically increased so it actually KILLS when you saw someone.

Psyl3ntShad0w
December 4, 2005, 7:47 pm
i always thought it would be cool if the chainsaw was like the sword in halo (dash slash thing)...but thats just me.

MisterX
December 10, 2005, 11:54 pm
I just read a nice idea about how chainsaw could be buffed (I'm sure it has been brought up before, but we never really discussed it I think): What if holding the chainsaw would give you some special, passive advantages? For example you could be faster, have more health points, could be less affected by pushback-effects (So you can actually kill a Spas-user with it), etc.
Opinions?

Elephant_Hunter
December 11, 2005, 5:19 am
The current chainsaw as compared to other weapons in 1.3.1 is a handy tool. In fact, it's now my secondary weapon of choice since the knife was changed.

reckon
December 11, 2005, 7:11 am
Yeah, im taking a quick liking to it, ive been getting more kills since the last version due to unreg'd hits.
Id like to see it a thin stretch longer, plus more fuel never hurt anyone.
As for the passive abilities, why would the saw be the only one with these effects? It should then be mandatory for all secondaries to have the same abilities as well. Perhaps more weight when wielding a law, etc. Perhaps thats just a bit too complex though.

papasurf31
December 11, 2005, 2:55 pm
I thought it'd be cool if you were faster/more maneuverable with a chainsaw so you could catch up to people easier, since it is a purely melee weapon, being able to get into it's severly limited range should be easier.

MisterX
December 11, 2005, 3:37 pm
quote:Originally posted by reckonAs for the passive abilities, why would the saw be the only one with these effects? It should then be mandatory for all secondaries to have the same abilities as well. Perhaps more weight when wielding a law, etc. Perhaps thats just a bit too complex though.
Perhaps I don't know how good the chainsaw really is, but to me it seems as if it's very uneffective compared to the other weapons. Soldat is just totally based on ranged fighting, it's not about melee combat. Yet the chainsaw can only be used for that. That's why I think it needs a buff. The other secondaries don't need to be buffed. Perhaps one or two of them are still too strong, but that's it.

DeMonIc
December 11, 2005, 4:10 pm
Although I vowed not to post, I feel I must.

What if chainsaw could be used during every animation, unlike other weapons? So rolls, proning down/getting up, heck even backflipping could be turned into a lethal attack, and the repertoire of saw users would be extended greatly, thus it would become a fearsome weapon in the hands of the right foe.

reckon
December 13, 2005, 7:53 pm
I like Demonics idea, a deathroll would be a fun way to kill people.

December 13, 2005, 11:09 pm
Nobody is complaining. It's not broke. Stop trying to fix it.

MisterX
December 13, 2005, 11:13 pm
It's just that I have never ever seen a chainsaw be seriously used in a clanwar. What's the reason for this then?

reckon
December 13, 2005, 11:13 pm
With that mentality that could said about all the weps.

MisterX
December 13, 2005, 11:20 pm
That was a serious question, it wasn't ment rhetorical :o

N1nj@
December 13, 2005, 11:30 pm
it's there to be used for fun? just like how people don't use fist seriously in a clanwar

but I don't mind buffing it up, cause the stronger it is..the more fun we get =)

LazehBoi
December 13, 2005, 11:37 pm
Maybe it's just not useful in CTF. I saw plenty of people using it well in INF earlier today. A must for defending (and getting) the flag in warehouse.

reckon
December 14, 2005, 12:33 am
To misterx, I was referring to stickys comment, not yours.