( search forums )
Free shell accounts (linux)
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Developers Corner
FliesLikeABrick
December 7, 2005, 2:29 am
Lately I've been working on learning more about linux security, and how to secure multi-user systems. As part of testing this, I need people to use the server for small tasks.

I will give out free shell accounts to people who:
-I haven't had any altercations with over the past year or two (there are few of them)
-Are trustworthy

and who want the account to:
-Learn C or C++ (using the linux native gcc and g++ compilers, since normal ones are very expensive for windows)
-Learn their way around the linux shell
-Host a small clan website/forums or small files (no files above 1MB in size, preferably smaller than that)
-Host and/or develop C/C++ (or host Delphi) applications for internet use (simple service servers)

The server is on a slow connection (8mbit down, .5 mbit up, or about 1megabyte down, and 50kBps up) so it is best used for the linux environment, small websites (forums), or any other educational reason.

I will be giving these accounts out on a one-strike rule basis, so if you misuse it in any way, you're out.

I expect anyone on the server not to abuse anything and to report any possible insecurities to me ASAP, rather than abusing it.

You don't have to use the linux shell if you just want to use the server for hosting a clansite and/or forum.

Here's what you get:
-Linux shell access
-A home directory with a public_html subfolder.
-25MB of space (negotiable, depending on your needs)
-MySQL, PHP, C++/C compiler, and I will install anything else you need as well (within reason)
-A u13.net subdomain or any other domain you have to use with the webspace
-FTP access
-Other things I forget at the moment.

As many of you know, I'm always anxious to help the community, and this is a great opportunity for any clanmasters to get their site/forums hosted.

Any questions? please ask :D

If you're interested, post here and contact me via the information in my profile or the information at the bottom of www.u13.net

Deleted User
December 7, 2005, 3:06 am
I'll take one. I've always wanted to fiddle with a shell account.

Feel free to give me a PM.

mar77a
December 7, 2005, 1:27 pm
Heh, i wonder why the remote FTP doesnt work.

FliesLikeABrick
December 7, 2005, 3:52 pm
it does, you have to use passive mode

DePhille
December 8, 2005, 12:38 pm
I want to help you during this process.
I want to study C/C++ (You know why Brick) and maybe also how those servers work (If my ISP removes limits I'm starting my own servers immediately) but I don't have a clue of how to start all this stuff you're offering. I might remember the stuff but I doubt that.
Anyway , feel free to contact me if you're in the need of a tester.

Anyway , if you give the account I'll most probably use it after my exams.

Grtz , DePhille

Denacke
December 8, 2005, 12:52 pm
I'd also set some rules regarding IRC If I were you (limited connections to most IRC-servers, virusses, other stuff :p).

Nice initiative :) Got my own server running though.

FliesLikeABrick
December 8, 2005, 2:45 pm
I'd prefer that people didn't use the account for IRC related stuff for a couple reasons:
1) I already run a bouncer from this machine which already has 4 connections to quakenet, so if someone else connects to quakenet with a bouncer or irssi, [CENSORED]x etc, itll cause all the connections to get k-lined
2) the first post says nothing about using the shell for irc-related things, but if you intend to use it for irc-related stuff, please contact me first.

I would block outgoing connections to IRC servers on the machine to naturally make it more secure, but since I use that machine for my own things alread, I can't simply do that.

Accounts added for Lapis, Dephille, and Xenocide. (as well as about 7 or 8 others)... any other takers?

edit: and as for IRC servers or any other incoming suggestions, the machine drops all incoming connections except on ports that I have preapproved for people. Contact me if you'd like a port opened for testing an application or something

KeFear
December 8, 2005, 4:20 pm
I would gladly take an account if it is possible. By the way i'm learning linux too, so it would be nice to see how you do the security things, or maybe i could help you if i can.

FliesLikeABrick
December 8, 2005, 8:33 pm
alright, PM me a username and password you'd like

bbqchips
December 8, 2005, 11:15 pm
Neat, I'll take one. (I added you to my MSN list, it'll show up as a @goodgoing.org e-mail account)

DePhille
December 9, 2005, 8:40 am
hmm yeah well maybe I'd like to open a port , but I'll tell it to you via U13 PM system since I'd rather keep that port as unknown as possible.

Thanks for opening my account!

Grtz , DePhille

Deleted User
December 9, 2005, 11:07 am
haha, never heard of a port scan?

My account is on there, fun fun fun ^^_^^

DePhille
December 9, 2005, 4:43 pm
Yes EnEsCe , that's very easy to make and besides , the ports I need will be automaticly forwarded on an uPnP router if there is any so it'd clearly be visible for those who want to know it.
I just said I want the port as unknown as possible.

Downloading C/C++ tutorials like mad.

Grtz , DePhille