( search forums )
Minigun: "Cooldown"-effect? (+ animation?)
Soldat Forums - Misc - Soldat Beta Testing
MisterX
December 10, 2005, 2:12 pm
I know it's a little late to bring this up now, but let's just talk about it for the next version.
After reading one guys post, I realized that we totally stopped talking about the minigun here. But I think the idea of such a "Cooldown"-effect, meaning it takes sometimes until the barrel of the minigun stops spinning, so you can start firing again earlier, would be a great addition.
So what do you think? Should it get this (or another) buff, or should it just stay the rather unuseful weapon mostly used for fun-matches?

And another thing, to Michal this time: Would it actually be possible to make the Minigun be animated, or even to make animations for other guns? The file for the animation of the spinning barrel has always been there. Or did you just drop the idea because it can't be implemented?

papasurf31
December 10, 2005, 8:32 pm
I agree with both these points, but I'd liek to add:
+the animations would be all but invisible, and would add to the...
+already substantial lag that the minigun causes on many servers, so much that many servers ban them from the start

However, the cool down idea would be good, but I think it would effectively remove all start-up time from the gun. Players would just repadly click the fire button when spinning speed is close to max so that they can fire at a moment's notice, making the minigun substantially more useful but also less like a minigun. The weapon is pretty underpowered/underappreciated as it is, so DO think some changes should be made to it, but is this the right one?

MisterX
December 10, 2005, 8:52 pm
Why would animations add to the lag? It'd be a graphical thing the computer of the player has to handle, not the server.

papasurf31
December 11, 2005, 2:52 pm
Animations wouldn't, but packets containing info saying:
User has clicked the minigun button on and off for the past 10 minutes in .14 second intervals like a jack-tard monkey nigger turdburglar.

Yeah, I dunno, that might be annoying when the server is trying to process who is shooting what where.

Deleted User
December 11, 2005, 5:04 pm
quote:Originally posted by papasurf31User has clicked the minigun button on and off for the past 10 minutes in .14 second intervals like a jack-tard monkey nigger.

I think people should stop using the word 'nigger' so much around here. Seriously. Don't.

Rambo_6
December 11, 2005, 5:53 pm
Say nugler. It's cooler to say, and original.

Or turdburglar, cause that's a friggin great word too.

Deleted User
December 11, 2005, 7:21 pm
quote:Originally posted by papasurf31I don't know [CENSORED] about Soldat's netcode, LOL!

Fixed.