( search forums )
Oppinoins about the weapon ballance now.
Soldat Forums - Misc - Soldat Beta Testing
Bugs Revenge
December 16, 2005, 1:30 pm
Well, after playing quite a while and seeing which weapons others use etc. here is my opinion about the ballance.. :

De - they'r just fine, as the previous version.
Mp5 - fine as well, useable in small maps as it used to be.
AK - the most used gun in big maps, seems to be fine as well.
styer - useable and goot :)
spas - I like it with less range and stronger..
ruger - seems not to be overnerfed but just fine, most of the ppl like it.
m79 - fine, very useable on some maps.
barret - lot of ppl left it, but it seems to be realy good if u'r skilled enough, doens't need more nerfs.
minimi - just fine, maybe nerfed a BIT more than the others but it's fine.

secondaries :
Succom - seems to be just as all the other secondaries but chainsaw ^_^
knife - realy overnerfed this time, I don't see much ppl use it :chainsaw - well, u know.
Law - seems to be realy useable, too easy if u ask me.. but no need changes atm...

what do u guys think?

MisterX
December 16, 2005, 1:42 pm
Deagles - To me it seems as if they are too easy in 1.3, too accurate
Spas - I hear a lot of complains saying it's too strong. Seems to be fine, but I'm unsure
Ruger - I like the new Ruger very much. Perhaps it could use a little more damage
M79 - Seems to fine, at least in clanwars. Something has to be done against the overuse on public servers. Server-side weapon limit restriction!

Aall the other weapons seem to be very fine, especially the knife! I see enough people being really good with it, and I don't have any problems using it myself. Just get used to it.

DragonSlayer
December 16, 2005, 2:51 pm
I think the weapon balance is perfectly fine now, except for knife, which could be better if you could hold down the throw button as long as you want and you won't throw the knife until you release the button. It's not that important though, I'm already getting used to the new knife. But it's still harder to use and somewhat less efficient than other secondaries, minus chainsaw. I think it got overnerfed but good knifers can live with it.

Meandor
December 16, 2005, 4:07 pm
I like it now, but give it some time. So far I think knife could do with a little more damage (quicker to charger) and the barret with a slightly shorter delay, and the ruger with same damage but lower (2~ points) rof.

grand_diablo
December 16, 2005, 5:22 pm
my thoughts

De - probably a tiny bit too easy, bit Im fine with em
Mp5 - fine
AK - needs a slight increase in selfbink, everything else is fine
styer - fine
spas - needs either less speed or less damage or a bit of both, I find it a bit too strong on mid sized maps
ruger - fine
m79 - boosting needs more nerf, aswell as the weapon generally does. Its overused to its effectivity on both small and large maps
barret - fine
minimi - might be even strengthened a tiny bit, but seems rather fine

secondaries :
Succom - needs a very slight nerf maybe
knife - max. throwing speed should be increased, but the delay should be kept
Law - fine

btw. I still think its a bit too early for definitely deciding on this topic.

Vijchtidoodah
December 16, 2005, 6:30 pm
quote:Originally posted by DragonSlayer...could be better if you could hold down the throw button as long as you want and you won't throw the knife until you release the button.

quote:Originally posted by MeandorSo far I think knife could do with a little more damage (quicker to charger)...

The knife could do with some tweaking to make it more usable. We did a good job of getting rid of those quick and easy kills, but some of the fun was taken away from the knife in the process.

The other weapons are fine as they are.

Psyl3ntShad0w
December 16, 2005, 8:04 pm
all the weapons seem pretty good to me. i see a bit of everything in most servers i join. although i recently joined a pub where i was the only person using spas and everyone else had barret and m79. it was funny because i kept on getting trips :D

only thing...

m79 - a lot of ppl still use this thing...though i wouldnt want a delay. it isn't a really big issue mainly because a lot of the shots don't hit which is pretty frustrating when using it.

KnOt
December 16, 2005, 8:21 pm
I am pretty pleased with this balance now.. We still get whiners, but they're confusing having skill with using an overpowered weapon.

I think the barret has finally found its proper place in soldat. It is now as I've always wanted it to be. A weapon used for specific tasks. For instance sniping a flag carreer. Or defending your own flag.

MisterX
December 16, 2005, 8:29 pm
And you guys didn't trust me at first, and all of you were against the delay, pfft ;)
It would be really great if we found a solution for M79 which makes it be harder to use for beginners, just like it is with the Barret now. It seems that noobs who want a nice and easy weapon for fast kills just skip the Barret now and directly switch to the M79 - and never ever take it out of their hands again. So a solution which makes it be harder to use at first but not necessarily weaker could really work - if we had one, yet.

m00`
December 16, 2005, 8:53 pm
I have only seen the knife be used a few times since soldat 1.3.1 came out

Boxo
December 16, 2005, 9:48 pm
m79: still a bit overpowered. needs more bink and self-dmg
minimi: maybe got nerfed a little too much. more dmg and more self bink.
knife: you should be able to hold the button down and hold the knife ready for throwing like has been suggested. otherwise it's good.

Otherwise, this is the best balance yet imo..

Michal
December 17, 2005, 3:13 am
DE - Fine
MP5 - Fine
AK74 - Fine
Aug - Fine
SPAS12 - Slightly too much shot speed I think
Ruger - Seems like it's being over used, but I'm not sure if it's due to inbalance.
M79 - Definitely overused now, possibly a short charge up time is needed.
Barrett - Perfect for the first time in the history of Soldat :>
Minimi - Seems too inaccurate when fighting in the air.

Socom - Fine
Knife - Fine, but I think the players speed should be added to the knife when thrown.
Chainsaw - Perfect ;)
LAW - Fine

In my opinion this is the best balance yet.

frogboy
December 17, 2005, 3:48 am
Spas - I feel it's a bit too strong, or has too much range.
M79 - Definitely too easy. Charge-up time or longer reload, perhaps?

Knife - probably could do with slightly more power or being able to hold the knife until the f button is released. Otherwise, it's fine.

The rest I feel is fine.

reckon
December 17, 2005, 3:56 am
With all bias aside, I will agree that the spas is a smidge too strong, but then again at close combat a shotgun is suppoed to rock your ass, therefore the damage is appropriate.

FliesLikeABrick
December 17, 2005, 6:37 am
there hasn't been much complaining about any weapons since the release, except for people who were biased. I'd say lets leave the balance alone and work purely on bugfixes in the near future. People are sick of us messing with the balance, and we're as close to pleasing everyone with this version as we ever will be.

m00`
December 17, 2005, 6:48 am
quote:Originally posted by frogboy
M79 - Definitely too easy. Charge-up time or longer reload, perhaps?

No, not charge up time, im not an m79 user but come on, charge up time is getting stupid now, once m79 is nerfed, people will flock to a different weapon anyway, you need to fix m79 by not completly killing it, longer reload wont help unless it was a huge difference, somthing needs to be done about the speed me thinks

I think the spas is fine, nerfing it will only cause less people to use it, and currently I only see around 1-2 people use it on server

Taxista
December 17, 2005, 12:24 pm
Agreed, I also think this balance is very good, even the knife is good imo. As FliesLikeABrick said, now the primary objective is bug fixes.

MisterX
December 17, 2005, 2:51 pm
quote:Originally posted by frogboyM79 - Definitely too easy. Charge-up time or longer reload, perhaps?
This won't make M79 be harder to use, this will only limit it's efficiency. Simply the aiming should be harder in some way.

@FliesLikeABrick
I also think this is the best balance so far, but this doesn't mean we have to stop here. It can be better, so we should just go on. Do you really think we don't have much timeleft for bugfixing because we are so extremely busy with balancing the weapons? When did we have the last slaughter session? Come on, we are not any busy here.

Yukwunhang
December 17, 2005, 4:07 pm
DO NOT change the balance anymore, at least for the following 2 versions. Yes we could always do better because there is NO perfect. We have to give some time to players to adapt. We keep telling them to adapt but we do not give enough time for them. Just when they finally adapted to the new weapon balance, and a new version with new weapon balance is out, wtf. I think bugs fixing are way more important than weapon balance now.

Chakra`
December 17, 2005, 4:33 pm
I say, ask this question again in 3 months time. The beta team as a whole have slaved over the balance this year, it's time for a break and for the new guys to just have a blast finding bugs and testing new features.

1.3.1 may not be perfect balance wise in some way, but compared to history, we've had the least amount of complaints so far. And thats including the hardcore barretards.

MisterX
December 17, 2005, 5:58 pm
I'm not talking about new cutting-edge features to be implemented, like delay or chargeup. Just talking about some minor changes to the values. For example -1 or -2 speed for Spas and such things, nothing big.

grand_diablo
December 17, 2005, 6:49 pm
quote:Originally posted by yukwunhangDO NOT change the balance anymore, at least for the following 2 versions. Yes we could always do better because there is NO perfect. We have to give some time to players to adapt. We keep telling them to adapt but we do not give enough time for them. Just when they finally adapted to the new weapon balance, and a new version with new weapon balance is out, wtf. I think bugs fixing are way more important than weapon balance now.

Id be fine if we reduced the changes to m79 only, as it is the only severe problem left imo.

reckon
December 17, 2005, 8:11 pm
Perhaps movement acc. on the m79 could be altered?

The Geologist
December 17, 2005, 8:50 pm
I agree with some of the others in the topic in that we should focus on problem solving/bugs rather than balance in the near future. This is far and away one of my favorite versions in terms of balance and playibility, and with this in mind my gripes (if that) are few:

*Shotgun does seem a touch strong, but I'd sooner look at speed or range...as mentioned, a shotgun at close range will destroy.
*m79 too easy (not bad imo, I love using it), yet possibly a change the movement acc. as mentioned above.

I had a few others in mind, but after more thought they're pretty trivial in the long term. As I said I love this version, yet a focus on some of the bugs people keep harping on could do just as much if not more than fixing the balance.

Outcast
December 18, 2005, 10:03 am
I think it's almost perfect but....
- Barret needs a bit less bink(~75) and a bit less delay(~17).
- Ruger could do with a bit less fire interval, but really a bit less.
- m79 could be binked a bit more. Don't add moving acc. that would suck.
- Minimi a bit! more power.
- I really opposed to this knife thing, so I'm still suggesting so you do a switch delay(switching to knife takes some time) of 1 second or so, which would prevent spawn kills and insta kills. But otherwise leave the knife the same. You see how knife suddenly got dropped heh
- Chainsaw, no idea, it's just not a very good weapon in essence.

It's all really minor changes, except the knife, which I think would make the balance right.

Spectral
December 22, 2005, 5:28 pm
The weapon balance is quite good this version, these are only very minor gripes

Barret just needs alittle less delay
ruger seems fine
if anything, bink the m79 or reduce the splash radius
the autos seem ok as they are, minimi is fine
the knife seems ok