( search forums )
Figuring out the flag bug
Soldat Forums - Misc - Soldat Beta Testing
DragonSlayer
December 19, 2005, 4:35 pm
I created this topic so we can try to find out the reason for the flag bug which started to happen in 1.3.1. It could be totally random or then there could be something behind it. I just know that it's very annoying and it's not fun to play clan wars when this happens.

We were cwing one day and some spec (forgot who) said that it disappears after no one has touched the flag for 5 seconds and it's in the opposite base. Well, I tried this out in b2b and indeed, the BLUE FLAG returned to the base after no one had touched it for 5 seconds or so. I did it 3 times in a row, and it happened every time. However, this did not happen with the RED flag. I also want to add that this was in b2b only, it didn't happen in other maps. But usually when the flag disappears it tends to be in the opposite team's base. But then again, that's where the flag usually is so it doesn't prove much.

Also, I'm pretty sure that it has disappeared sometimes when you just try to throw and pass it to another player. It doesn't happen much but it has happened. Sometimes it disappears almost instantly.

Maps where I have seen the bug happen (confirmed):
B2b
Laos
Voland
Nuubia
Snakebite
Death2

So, I hope someone can add to this conversation so this bug could be fixed, because I'm sure you all hate it as much as I do.

DeMonIc
December 19, 2005, 5:40 pm
Just a hint, maybe if it only happens to the blue flag, it's related to an a tweak in INF, somewhat similiar to the capping score bug in 1.3?

MisterX
December 19, 2005, 6:53 pm
I've tried it all alone for too long now, but I couldn't reproduce the bug. I only found out that the time the flag needs to respawn varies from around 18-24 seconds, which is pretty big difference. I've tried nading, shooting, throwing it away, and letting it fall down by killing myself, nothing worked. I've tried it both, online and offline. So at least it seems other players have to be involved to make this bug occur.

N1nj@
December 19, 2005, 9:20 pm
Just to add that the flag bug obviously doesn't depend on what map you are playing on

Psyl3ntShad0w
December 19, 2005, 11:18 pm
hm...perhaps it could be because we compiled all the maps for the first time with polyworks? we've never done this before and we've never seen this bug before...so perhaps that is the issue. Although, when playing custom maps on 1.3 I never saw this problem and polyworks has been out for awhile. Then again, I don't play custom maps that often.

Are you sure this is an issue with all maps?

Michal, how much time do you get before the flag returns and no one has touched it? Is it supposed to be a definite time like 30 seconds after the last touch?

Yukwunhang
December 20, 2005, 5:14 am
I think I got it.

The flag mostly return in about 18 secs (14-25), after throwing the flag for about 20 times. Then I thought maybe the height matters? I went to the top of voland, jumped up to about 1 screen high and threw the flag straight down. I tried 6 times with both red and blue flag and the results are: 7, 9, 12, 10, 10, 0.5.

Michal Marcinkowski
December 22, 2005, 2:12 pm
OK, I found it out. The respawn counter was updated also when someone held the flag.
It's not the height, probably you held it longer because you had to climb.

MisterX
December 22, 2005, 3:27 pm
Does this mean the longer you hold the flag in 1.3.1, the less long it'll take until it gets respawned? Didn't really get that.

Btw: Opinions on server-side weapon limit restrictions, anyone? :s

grand_diablo
December 22, 2005, 4:32 pm
btw Michal, please write into bugs.txt, that Death2 needs urgent PW recompile for the next server or client version :p

DeMonIc
December 24, 2005, 2:34 pm
The flag bug remains.. I think you fixed it the wrong way Michal, now it happens to red flags too. Did you intend it to be a feature?

If so, then let me be the first to declare that it's rotting the fundamentals of ctf. Killing the flag carrier shouldn't be enough to get the flag back, the killer has to touch the flag, and it should stay that way.

Avskum
December 24, 2005, 3:33 pm
It was always the both flags, and its already fixed.