( search forums )
Coding
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Developers Corner
Dragon Reborn
February 8, 2006, 11:41 pm
Hey. I would really like to get into coding and learning about it, but i don't really know where to start. I have been advised to use Javascript or a program called C-Code. I have heard of javascript but not of C-Code. I would really love to learn coding.
If any of you guys could post here with tutorial links, or a really good program to use, please do so.

nfsjunkie91
February 9, 2006, 1:01 am
If you want to do games, www.blitzbasic.com it is a simple language, but powerful, and easy to learn.

Dragon Reborn
February 9, 2006, 1:18 am
It isn't free though...?

FliesLikeABrick
February 9, 2006, 1:48 am
C++ is probably the best place to start. It is a language that has been around for a long time and serves a very wide range of purposes. It is closely related to C (hence the similar names). C and C++ are what 90%+ of all of linux and linux programs are coded in.

It is free and there are free compilers for it. If you use linux, there is the g++ compiler, and I'm pretty sure there is a windows version of the g++ compiler as well.

Deleted User
February 9, 2006, 2:03 am
I wouldnt suggest starting with C++, unless you like juggling chainsaws.
Either use VB, or Delphi for beginning.

Dragon Reborn
February 9, 2006, 2:06 am
Where do i download these from?

EDIT: I searched for Dephi via google, i found the site. It's says on the side C++ builder and C# Builder. Which one?

viggoloniggolo
February 9, 2006, 9:01 am
try Scyte

DePhille
February 9, 2006, 9:29 am
It really depends on what you are going to program.

If you want something that is going to be used on servers , a game , ... you should use C or C++. If it's your first language then you'll be busy studying C and C++ for a long time.

If you want to make fan apps for soldat you can go ahead and use VB (Visual Basic), you can draw your controls (That's what VISUAL basic does :) ) and then run the program in debug mode (It parses line per line so you can see what is going wrong). You won't be studying too long for VB since it's easy. Though it only runs on Windows PCs it is still a quite powerful language , if you cant solve something you just go to google and type your question there , mostly people will give you some API script that does the job :)

It really depends on what sort of programs you are going to write. In my personal opinion I'm happy with VisualBasic.

Grtz , DePhille

Deleted User
February 9, 2006, 9:39 am
If you do learn VB, you can use RBasic to convert your Win32 VB Apps into Linux VB Apps :)

DePhille
February 9, 2006, 2:19 pm
Cool , and do they work 100% of the time if you convert them , what about .dll's and .ocx's , does it save it as .exe or Linux format?

Grtz , DePhille

Deleted User
February 9, 2006, 11:38 pm
http://www.realsoftware.com/products/tour/

It compiles to Mac, Linux and Win32

Just go there and check it out. Im not sure about dlls and ocx's since none of my programs ive made in VB6 use custom ones. <3 API.

Dragon Reborn
February 9, 2006, 11:45 pm
Can you give me a link to download Visual Basic please?

FliesLikeABrick
February 9, 2006, 11:53 pm
Visual Basic and Delphi are not anywhere near free, at least not anything full featured or that lasts more than 30 days.

C++ is good because it is cross-platform, free, powerful, has very good and efficient compilers, and it will force you to learn the key concepts behind coding so that you can build any decent applications.

Dragon Reborn
February 10, 2006, 12:10 am
So where can i get it?

FliesLikeABrick
February 10, 2006, 12:29 am
http://math.claremontmckenna.edu/ALee/g++/g++.html

rapterion
February 10, 2006, 1:23 am
www.freebasic.net

Deleted User
February 10, 2006, 5:52 am
http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html (Free C++)

b00stA
February 10, 2006, 6:23 pm
Visual Basic 2005 Express is free.

mar77a
February 10, 2006, 9:05 pm
Funny, im learning C++ for windows (i mean windows.h) and it's a pain in the ass.

Dragon Reborn
February 11, 2006, 2:10 am
Yeah, i had a look at a C++ tutorial, boy, does it look complicated!

rapterion
February 13, 2006, 6:58 am
Some things to note, scite is not a programming language, neither is DEV-C++, both are IDE's integrated development environments (actually scite is more of a feature rich text editor), scite doesn't even come with a compiler, and DEV-C++ comes with mingW32 the windows port of Gnu Compiler Collection.

For beginners, I'd suggest some basic variant, freebasic is a good choice because its very similar to C with a much gentler syntax, however, it can also make it more difficult to learn C++ in the future as freebasic/C is procedural, and C++ is object oriented.

For the most part as a hobbyist, I personally like to stay away from proprietary/not free stuff, because I'm not made of money:P. That being said, however I've heard many good things about the .net set of compilers(VB.net C#.net) and since MS is giving them away for free not harm can come from giving them a shot.

mar77a
February 14, 2006, 9:09 pm
Hmn, yeah, im going to try MS Visual C++ Express...