( search forums )
Online server admin - developpementtttt
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Developers Corner
mar77a
March 27, 2006, 5:25 pm
Okey, so.

I have created a remote admin for soldat servers that is web-based using PHP. It works but it lacks functionality. To check it out, go to http://mar77a.llsc.us/osa.php

Now, with the help of some of the soldat community members, we are looking foward to add some cool features. This project will now be in the hands of Elephant Hunter and mar77a.

You can use this topic to suggest features, report bugs, etc.

DeMo
March 28, 2006, 3:21 am
The idea is very good, I was thinking about something like this a while ago, some kind of admin program with a web-server functionality so that you could control it from anywhere just using a browser.

The only problem I see with your tool is that we need to go to your homepage to use it. And we have to put the admin password there.. and we don't know if you're storing our IP and password in a database or not. Of course I doubt you would do something like this but a lot of people will think twice before putting their password there.

Maybe you could release the whole thing in a package.. something that server admins can download and install on their servers for their private use. On the other hand this means that everybody will be able to put their dirty hands on the source code and modify it since it is made with PHP.

bja888
March 28, 2006, 3:46 am
^ what he said

+ The refesh will drive me crazy.
Perhaps do it in flash or AJAX? Or Flex???

mar77a
March 28, 2006, 8:27 pm
there are some other bugs too...for example, sometimes the socket remains open an the admin remains connected (can be disconnected if inside the server you type "!stop")...

btw, the source will be release.

FliesLikeABrick
March 28, 2006, 9:16 pm
AJAX or flash would definately be a wise thing to use for this, this is the kind of app that AJAX works amazingly well for

mar77a
March 28, 2006, 10:15 pm
Yes, Elephant Hunter suggested this years ago...
Now im working with him to revamp this app :)

Deleted User
March 29, 2006, 1:16 am
iv been working on one in flash and its almost complete im just stuck on the ondata events and sending the pasword before disconnection.

Elephant_Hunter
March 29, 2006, 11:19 pm
Ideas are coming along well now that we've started messing with AJAX. Mar77a was really quick to take on the idea of seamless server-client communication. I would estimate that within a week we'll have a working model, and perhaps the beginnings of a PHP library to decipher Soldat packets. Right now it's all kinda strewn together because mar77a didn't expect to release the source for OSA until recently.

If you folks have any ideas for this, feel free to tell us :)

moep
March 30, 2006, 12:07 pm
I released such a libary some months ago, but it was not really popular.
It is quite easy to use, install and to tweak.

Examples
([URL])
([URL])

bja888
March 30, 2006, 12:59 pm
The problem is that my server doesn't run php and I can run soldoc from the desktop on my college campus. So really, I have no use for something like this.

Yukwunhang
March 30, 2006, 4:59 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by moepI released such a libary some months ago, but it was not really popular.
It is quite easy to use, install and to tweak.

Examples
([URL])
([URL])

Where do I get it? :P

FliesLikeABrick
March 30, 2006, 6:23 pm
I've got a lot of use for this, since I have yet to find any quality linux [or windows in wine] soldat admin programs. This would kick ass if it was done to some quality in AJAX.

moep
March 30, 2006, 6:39 pm
@Yukwunhang: I'll post it tomorrow.
@mar: Ok, it's possible to make an admin tool using php only. But it's quite ineffective. (Had this idea a while ago, but I found out that it needs too much ressources. Each refresh establishes a connection and closes it again. That's why I only use it to show the actual server status.) Only a few webhosts allow socket connections, wich makes the script useless for most server admins. Atm I'm thinking of an implementation as a java applet. This should definitely be possible. (see SARJ for example)

mar77a
March 30, 2006, 8:18 pm
Yes, what we are *going* to do is (using SAJAX), make it all in one connection.

EDIT: And bja, there's no need to download it, you can use it online...

Elephant_Hunter
March 31, 2006, 7:46 pm
When I was asking for suggestions, I meant suggestions of functionality. Not "You should totally scrap this project and work in [Java/Flash/M&Ms/Balloons] instead." I don't want to sound like we're not open to talking about cool stuff, because we really do understand where you guys are coming from... but we have a project in PHP and AJAX. Programming ideas are very welcome. Just keep them in scope :P

DeMo
March 31, 2006, 9:41 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by FliesLikeABrickI've got a lot of use for this, since I have yet to find any quality linux [or windows in wine] soldat admin programs. This would kick ass if it was done to some quality in AJAX.

Give me some time, I'm working a TRUE linux admin program, no need for wine. :D

Since it has nothing to do with this topic you can PM me and tell me the features (like scripting, IRC bot etc) you think a QUALITY Soldat Admin program should have.

Elephant_Hunter
April 2, 2006, 1:40 am
 Quote:Originally posted by bja888The problem is that my server doesn't run php and I can run soldoc from the desktop on my college campus. So really, I have no use for something like this.

What could we do to make it useful?

ramirez
April 6, 2006, 1:16 am
 Quote:Originally posted by moepOnly a few webhosts allow socket connections, wich makes the script useless for most server admins.

While the "low-level" sockets extension for PHP isn't enabled in every host, I've never stumbled upon a host that wouldn't allow one to establish socket connections through fsockopen() (in matter of fact, it's core functionality of PHP and doesn't even require any extensions to be enabled explicitly).

Anyways, this is looking nice, nice job.
I'm looking forward to the AJAX updates and source release. :)

DeMo
April 6, 2006, 2:55 am
 Quote:Originally posted by ramirez Quote:Originally posted by moepOnly a few webhosts allow socket connections, wich makes the script useless for most server admins.

While the "low-level" sockets extension for PHP isn't enabled in every host, I've never stumbled upon a host that wouldn't allow one to establish socket connections through fsockopen() (in matter of fact, it's core functionality of PHP and doesn't even require any extensions to be enabled explicitly).

Anyways, this is looking nice, nice job.
I'm looking forward to the AJAX updates and source release. :)

I've seen the opposite.. sites with fsockopen() disabled for "security reasons" but the standard socket objects enabled. :S

ramirez
April 6, 2006, 3:09 am
Are you sure you are talking about fsockopen()?
Like I said, fsockopen() is part of the core PHP, and there's no way to explicitly disable it, as there are no configurable options for it. The only way to disable socket connections from PHP would be disable them completely, in which case the "standard socket objects" wouldn't work either. Doing so would also disable some other functionality such as URL wrappers, so I doubt your average webhost would do this, because most users wouldn't be too happy about it (at least I wouldn't).
Plus a lot of software (eg. forums), uses fsockopen() to connect to their "official server", to eg. query if a new version is available.

DeMo
April 6, 2006, 10:51 am
Check this out:
[IMAGE]

Bizarre uh? :S

ramirez
April 6, 2006, 12:03 pm
Oh I guess you are right, I completely forgot disable_functions:
[code]; This directive allows you to disable certain functions for security reasons.
; It receives a comma-delimited list of function names. This directive is
; *NOT* affected by whether Safe Mode is turned On or Off.
disable_functions =[/code]
However, if the socket extension is still loaded and available, disabling fsockopen() isn't gonna do a thing, since you can do whatever you could do with fsockopen with the sockets API.

FliesLikeABrick
April 6, 2006, 3:47 pm
Please stop taking this thread off-topic. Make a thread in the lounge if you feel the conversation must be continued

mar77a
April 22, 2006, 5:55 pm
Mmm, well this project is sort of dead since i have no time whatsoever with school.

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED, YOU CAN DOWNLOAD THE SOURCE AT THE HOMEPAGE.