( search forums )
idea: GLOBAL RANKING SYSTEM
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Developers Corner
Cubibubi
April 5, 2006, 1:53 pm
Hello @ all, i got an idea:
What about making a global ranking system which is already used in games like BF2 and so on. It will be something like that: USER, POINTS (or something else), GLOBAL RANK. Of course other things can be added. You can see that there, where the points of the other players are during an online-game. Points will be added after each game, e.g. 29 after a CTF. Those information should be also on the Soldat-homepage, so that you can see all rankings to compare with other players.

Cubibubi

ramirez
April 5, 2006, 3:40 pm
Rankings are almost never accurate, and it encourages some people to play for stats, which is NOT fun.
Man, I can speak from experience, and even having a ranking system on my own server is bad enough sometimes, but globally? No thanks.

rabidhamster
April 5, 2006, 10:30 pm
Had this lying around in my file storage:

[IMAGE]
Being registered multiplies your score by 1.1 (I know I didn't put that in the closest players thing, go away).

Edit: I'm not that good, by the way.

_Mancer_
April 5, 2006, 10:56 pm
Nice but there are bigger problems to attend to rather then make a completley new system.

rabidhamster
April 6, 2006, 1:05 am
We can dream can't we? Maybe when Enesce, Flab, and mar77a come out with SoldatExt v0.1 alpha (after the source is released), they'll put something like this in (dreaming again).

Deleted User
April 6, 2006, 3:10 am
Having stats alters the way you play... A Stat free game is more fun. Plus, hackers would just [CENSORED] it up...

Cubibubi
April 6, 2006, 5:52 pm
Hey ramirez.

i doubt ur right. u just dont want that, maybe bcoz urnt good. if ppl play for stats, that OK too. i dont see any problem there! think about ur decision. that post is also for all those others who give stupid reasons.

Cubibubi
April 6, 2006, 5:54 pm
Rabbithamsters idae was a good one. That should be added to the game. its more fun then. if u dont like it, DON USE IT.

FliesLikeABrick
April 6, 2006, 6:43 pm
Cubibubi Please use the edit button instead of posting multiple times in a row.

The fact is that:
1) stats alter the way you play, I probably am more aware of this than most
2) implementing a system to track global stats would be a pain in the ass, though I did start working on such a system long ago
3) it has been discussed before, and shot down for all the same reasons mentioned here.

The Geologist
April 6, 2006, 7:21 pm
Hi, my e-penis isn't bit enough, I need to use the global ratings system to make sure everyone knows how good I am, even if that means changing the way I play or tinkering with the program.

That's what I think of when I read this idea, because this idea really is a bad one. Not needed, not wanted (maybe by what..one or two people?), and in general not worth the effort it would be to create such a system. Just because people don't like your idea don't make their reason stupid Cubibubi. It would do you good to remember that.

shoover
April 6, 2006, 8:17 pm
yes stats would get more ppl to try harder and to cry more harder so i see that there is good and bad things towards this.