( search forums )
Maps need updating
Soldat Forums - Misc - Soldat Beta Testing
Soap
May 11, 2006, 3:19 am
EDIT SCROLL DOWN A BIT

DeMonIc
May 11, 2006, 1:33 pm
Hi Soap. I recon you first made that HTF, but it didn't make it in, so you made it ctf.

How about we wait 'till Michal actually starts WORKING on the new version with pumping some good maps in, ey?

Soap
May 13, 2006, 8:55 am
My shading technique is perfect. I don't know why Michal hates my maps.

Deleted User
May 13, 2006, 1:34 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by SoapMy shading technique is perfect. I don't know why Michal hates my maps.

Bighead. There are many better mappers than you out there.

Soap
May 14, 2006, 9:43 am
Show me a good map then.

DeMonIc
May 14, 2006, 9:48 am
Ok. Really, once we move to the new forums, we can start on 'bigger' beta operations ( such as renewing some maps and bugfixing all of them ), if Michal agrees too. Then we can talk about adding new maps.

Soap
May 14, 2006, 10:51 am
I think all of the "classic" maps should be revamped and given a more contemporary Soldat look.

papasurf31
May 14, 2006, 3:24 pm
Remaking the maps is good idea, but it's a collossal undertaking. We'd a need a lot fo organization and teamwork to make it happen.

As for Tundra: Ewww...

Soap
May 15, 2006, 3:43 am
This is what I think needs to happen to a map if it is to be considered "updated":

* No changes to the map layout whatsoever, unless it is very important, ie ctf_death2.
* Any known polybugs removed.
* All scenery removed and replaced. I think custom scenery should be made for each and every map and utilized with consistency.
* Careful use of lighting/shadow for effect.
* Backgrounds used in some areas, but only a few. Areas that could use backgrounds include buildings, towers, tunnels etc... any place that isn't big and open.
* A radical reshading to accommodate the new lighting/shadow effects, and for good measure. Some shading in maps looks plain ugly.

The most important thing I can stress is consistency. One thing that bugs me about the standard Soldat maps is that the style can be radically different in different maps. I think all maps that are included by standard should have a similar visual style. This was how the maps were several years ago, but when more community maps were added to the cycle, the visual standard was all but lost.

One thing that I think is up to debate, though, is whether or not polygons that stretch far outside of the map are cool. Personally, I think so. I was never a big fan off all that air ourside of a map.

Vijchtidoodah
May 15, 2006, 5:37 am
I would rather worry about the numerous polybugs than destroy classic maps. They look fine the way they are, let's just focus on playability.

DeMonIc
May 15, 2006, 6:36 am
I agree that a map tune-up project would require lots of organisitation and teamwork.

Other than that, I'd have to disagree Soap: a lot of classic maps ( such as b2b ) can be made to look much more awesome just by changing the texture, the weather effect and applying PNG sceneries on some places. Otherwise Polybugs should be our top priority.

Let's not rush ahead though: let's wait until we move to the new forum before we start planning and whatnot.

Soap
May 15, 2006, 3:08 pm
Quite honestly, I think I have the time to tackle this project by myself. If people can point out polybugs, then I can fix them and do the rest.

A lot of polybugs are actually caused by maps being too small. The larger a map is, the less polybugs it has.

DeMonIc
May 15, 2006, 6:14 pm
As I've noticed, the vast majority of polybugs are due to the fact that they were made in older map makers, which didn't connect verticles perfectly: compiling them with polyworks doesn't fix that.

There are 51 maps. Think it would be healthy if all of them would be 'Soaped'?

papasurf31
May 16, 2006, 12:07 am
I'd like it more if they were "X-tended" or "Virtual-ized" if you catch my drift.

Or "Geologized" or "SoulSniped" or..."Smurfed?" hehe

?
May 16, 2006, 12:25 am
I think some of the maps should be rethought, we don't need all the default maps now, maybe the mapping commuity can provide quantity and the beta community quality

Soap
May 16, 2006, 2:48 am
Maybe we can run polls where the community can decide on which maps they want in and which they want out.

Vijchtidoodah
May 16, 2006, 3:15 am
We don't need to get rid of any maps -- if people don't want them on their servers, they can simply choose not to put them in the maplist.

Taking the poll idea a step further, we can just ask people if they want the maps to be spruced up.

Meanwhile, we could have another thread asking people to point out polybugs in the standard maps (or even widely used custom maps).

DeMonIc
May 16, 2006, 9:15 am
Asking the community has always been a problem: people will vote about maps that they never even friggin' played on.

We have atleast 5 mappers in the beta team: that means each mapper could spice-up around 6-7 maps ( as not all maps need tune-ups ). Or we could do an announcement and have people submit their spice-ups of maps, and the best one gets in.

The Geologist
May 16, 2006, 4:01 pm
With next to nothing to do this summer, I'd be game for jumping on to touch up some maps.

FliesLikeABrick
May 16, 2006, 4:16 pm
lets wait until we're on the new forums to discuss this, that way:
1) we don't lose any discussion, since talking about it here will just result in our discussion being lost
2) we can make use of copious amounts of polls
3) they're faster and less frustrating to browse
4) we can use attachments for easier sharing of media/maps/images
5) see number 1. Starting or discussing something this major here is pointless since it will be lost and have to be started over again

Denacke
May 16, 2006, 5:51 pm
If the soaping improves them, then why not. At least let him give it a try, if we agree they, or some of them, are better we replace em for the next version?

Deleted User
May 16, 2006, 9:48 pm
I'd be up for fixing a map or two. Believe it or not I make a lot of maps, I just never release'em.

Soap
May 17, 2006, 12:15 pm
When are the forums changing? I like these forums.

Elephant_Hunter
May 17, 2006, 6:34 pm
 Quote:Originally posted by SoapWhen are the forums changing? I like these forums.

Well... I like the current maps. Way to be a prick :P

Edit: I actually wouldn't mind an updated map set, but you need to realize how backwards you sounded when you said that.

Boxo
May 18, 2006, 9:01 pm
Yeah, I'll join in on the map revamping project too over the summer, sounds good. I still map a bit though haven't released anything.