( search forums )
What Language was Soldat Written in?
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Developers Corner
Kalibah
June 19, 2003, 5:59 am
Just kinda curious what language it was written in , and how long it took to develop :) great game btw- gonna register it in the mornin.

mr_bob
June 19, 2003, 6:25 am
yeah right u just want to know so u can find a way to hack it u dont ask those kinda things on the offical fourms but yeah it is a grat game thanks for the comment

Kalibah
June 19, 2003, 6:33 am
i have no intention of hacking it - [:-censored] i dont know any programming languages except HTML, but thats hardly a programming language. im honest to god just curious...

JayBDey
June 19, 2003, 6:40 am
It's a legit question.

Social Poison
June 19, 2003, 7:34 am
True that. If I were to take a stab I'd say C++ and a couple of really killer libraries (along with Direct X... Soldat requires DX doesn't it?).

mr_bob
June 19, 2003, 7:53 am
yes it does its either c++ or [:-censored] i cant think of the other one ohwell i have a good feeling its c++

b00stA
June 19, 2003, 10:46 am
Rtfm. Try to look at the Soldat manual..
I'll do it for you:

quote:
Tools and components used in development:

- Borland Delphi 6 (http://www.borland.com)
- DirectX 8 + Jedi DirectX 8 headers (http://www.microsoft.com; http://www.crazyentertainment.net; http://clootie.narod.ru)
- FMOD (http://www.fmod.org)
- Flatstyle (http://www.flatsyle.de)
- BlackUDP by Lifepower
- Mode Enumeration Unit from PowerDraw (c) Lifepower (http://turbo.gamedev.net)
- DCPcrypt by David Barton (http://www.cityinthesky.co.uk)
- JVCL (http://www.delphi-jedi.org)

F842
June 19, 2003, 11:54 am
how interesting.

b00stA
June 19, 2003, 12:11 pm
If you're not interested in this information, why did you actually read this thread? and furthermore.. why did you actually reply? To increase your post count and to show "oh, yeah look, I'm being sarcastic!"

Argh..

Social Poison
June 19, 2003, 7:54 pm
So Delphi. I see... never even seen any of that code [:-taped]

Delphi is another programming language, correct?

wormdundee
June 19, 2003, 8:25 pm
it is indeed, my uploading friend :D

Meandor
June 19, 2003, 8:51 pm
delphi (made by borland guys) is a program, tho i'm not sure if it uses a "delphi" kind of programming language or is based on another language

enjoyincubus
June 19, 2003, 9:46 pm
Delphi is a cool little language...I had some Delphi trial edition or something, and it was fun to look at. I like to pretend like I know what I'm doing when my friends are over...hah!

It's a very powerful and somewhat under-rated language. If you have heard of Game Maker, it was written in Delphi 5. I think that people should know about all languages before they say stuff like "I think C++ is the best"...even though that IS true! :P

Enjoy

b00stA
June 19, 2003, 10:15 pm
Assembler si teh best.

>;)

JacK_TH
August 2, 2003, 11:11 am
yes assembler ! lol ! make a game in it and u are 1337 !
btw delphi is based on turbo pascal!
delphi might be not so powerful as c++ !
but much esaier ! and so i am using delphi ! couse i dont want to write perfekt highspeed programms !
and delphi standart is for free !

NightCabbage
August 2, 2003, 1:11 pm
Yup, Delphi uses Pascal.

I'll just show you what it kinda looks like (don't worry, not scarey lol)

[code]
procedure ThingoMain.FarmCowYay(Sender: TObject);
var
mooInt, Level: Integer;
begin

//Oh look at me! Imma comment!

Level := 1;
loadFarmAnimal();

//Hey so am I!

if mooInt = 7 then
begin
makeCow(colour);
thingo := 103;
end;
end;
[/code]

-EDIT-

hmm, not a very good example - lol but it shows some basic sutff ^^

Dark_Noddy
August 2, 2003, 2:43 pm
I use Delphie :D I'm No pro but.. Its fun 2 make things taht are annoying !

Here is somthing I've made.. (This is NOT somthing Annoying, U can close it by pressing X in top right corner and it WILL shut down !)

http://www.home.no/dark-noddy/Thingie.zip

I'll add the program code 2 :D (Note THIS WAS before i discoverd Case sentece so its kinda messy.. But it does the work)

Download Attachment: [IMAGE] Prog TXT.txt20.31 KB

skc.nevermore
August 11, 2003, 3:11 pm
long lives the if-function ;)

poor cpu :D

Dark_Noddy
August 11, 2003, 3:29 pm
hehe I kno I kno.. Just dont Gidd 2 rewrite it with case ! it works anyway :P

Cookie.
August 20, 2003, 5:23 pm
the code kinda reminds me of the programming language turing

Redferret
September 17, 2003, 11:22 am
Omg Omg Omg! Funny, we just started to learn delphi on my programming course. I thought to my self, soldat wudnt be made in delphi, but if it is woohoo. I thought delphi was crap but boy was i wrong.

NightCabbage
September 17, 2003, 11:28 am
Yeah, Delphi is pretty good lol

I'm guessing Michal uses DelphiX for directX gfx

eyic
September 25, 2003, 8:04 am
my brother uses C++ and is gettign better every day (no thanks to the "learn C++ in a day" book)
he just experimented, and has so far been able to make a box with an x at the top to close the program and a button to switch pictures to make a slideshow or somthing :P

I have always wanted to learn delphi, when my brother got c++, i got jealous and decided i wanna get better than him and get delphi 6 (my dad has it btw but i havnt asked for it yet) man, i so badly wanna start trying to program... hey btw is michal like 14 years old, he gave a birthdate in the selfkill interview and i remember finding otu that hes actually 14 now... man im 2 years younger than that, so i should be able to program if i try hard enuf :D

all we're doign at school is gay webdesign, and its not going anywere, coz i pwn the class at computers :)

Social Poison
September 25, 2003, 8:09 am
That code Noddy put up... it looked a bit like a class in C++ (Private: Public: etc).

Very object oriented programing type language, I'd guess [;)]

ThaD
September 25, 2003, 8:47 am
quote:Originally posted by eyic

... hey btw is michal like 14 years old, he gave a birthdate in the selfkill interview and i remember finding otu that hes actually 14 now... man im 2 years younger than that, so i should be able to program if i try hard enuf :D

huh?, read it again, hes 19, but he started programming when he was about 8, lol.

btw we used to play games at school on our very best 486 [:P], good times...

Dark_Noddy
October 12, 2003, 10:53 am
quote:Originally posted by eyic
(no thanks to the "learn C++ in a day" book)
he just experimented

IMO Thats The Best Way to learn :D Make Useless Smal Programs ! ;y First Delphi was a Window With 3 brns in it.. U If U pressed a btn the pic changed !

quote:Originally posted by Social Poison
That code Noddy put up... it looked a bit like a class in C++ (Private: Public: etc).

Very object oriented programing type language, I'd guess [;)]

That Code I but up is [:-censored]ED :P Som1 didnt KNow bout the Case comand at that point of history :D hehe...
I'm a bit more skilled now.. But Stoped Using Delphi.. Might Start Again :D Lately I've been scripting For mIRC witch is really simple Compeard to Delphi :D

fritz
January 8, 2004, 7:09 pm
I stay as far away from "We do it all for you" languages like VB and Delphi.

Regards,
fritz

palloco
January 8, 2004, 9:12 pm
That is good as far you as make programs in other languages. I suggest you not to look GameMaker, it can be lethal for you.

fritz
January 8, 2004, 10:29 pm
Lol well I don't want anyone to think I'm saying 'Delphi Sucks!' or anything... because I never really used it... its all up to the developer and his preferences... if he likes the way Delphi is structured and etc, and most of all good with it, thats great... Just Delphi is not my kind of language what so ever.

b00stA
January 9, 2004, 8:16 pm
Hm.. I don't know that much about the many programming languages, but you sound like an assembler guy ;)

palloco
January 10, 2004, 9:52 am
Assembler rocks. 3D Games made with assembler occupied a double density disk and needed a 286 to work while now similar games ask for a p3. But Obviously to amke games like warcraft 3 in assembeler would require more than 20 years of development instead of 3.

fritz
January 25, 2004, 7:23 am
Making a game in assembly would not take 20 years lmao... it could be done in about the same amount of time... such compilers as MASM32 support API's so it would really be no different then any application/game done in C++, other then the structure and syntax of the actual code... but if not for API's, it would take 20 years so I guess your semi-right lol.

Regards,
fritz

Dragon88
January 27, 2004, 12:34 am
anything you say... getting intellegent structures organized and using findfirst/findnext in asm would be interesting...

The Professional
January 29, 2004, 6:11 pm
quote:Originally posted by fritz
I stay as far away from "We do it all for you" languages like VB and Delphi.

Regards,
fritz

Why? 90% of all programs that you use in Windows where written in Visual Basic. Delphi is similar (based on Pascal, it is NOT Pascal as someone mentioned in this thread). Delphi is extremely powerful, and is compilable to machine code for near C/C++ speed. I sure as heck would use Delpi over C/C++ for coding most GUI applications since you can get it done in minutes/hours what would take days/weeks in C/C++.

palloco
January 29, 2004, 8:17 pm
quote:Originally posted by The Professional
Why? 90% of all programs that you use in Windows where written in Visual Basic.
And 90% of all programs used in windows eat a lot of mem, may be unstable and are unable to free all the memory they had sucked up. That is the reason why ALL scientific programs are made in languages like C, because they need something reliable and fast, able to do the inmense numerical calculus in the lesser time. When someone just wanna do something quickly he uses Visual languages .

gilcohen
February 1, 2004, 8:54 pm
Forget about delphi...
Visual studio .NET with C# is the best language iv'e ever programmed to. Easy to understand (NO POINTERSSS!!! AT ALL!!!!), SUPERB developer enviroment, system objects do just about ANYTHING, and it's microsoft language so it's probebly works with DirectX (although i never programed with directX or any graphical programs at all, just ASP .NET).
Too bad that it is slowly as HELL (even more than java i think).

NightCabbage
February 2, 2004, 7:54 am
lol palloco :)

"Assembler rocks."
yes.

"3D Games made with assembler occupied a double density disk and needed a 286 to work while now similar games ask for a p3."
lol, I'd love to see UT2k3 fit onto a floppy ;)

"But Obviously to amke games like warcraft 3 in assembeler would require more than 20 years of development instead of 3"

I'd say more like 100, and even then, nah :P

Dragon88
February 3, 2004, 12:49 am
As far as C# goes... POINTERS ARE GOOD! You just don't understand them.

samthemon
February 3, 2004, 5:01 am
i hate to agree with Dragon88 (conasidering he's such a know-it-all). but it is true. pointers are actually quite important in programming. what you're kinda doing is scriping, not programming.

Dragon88
February 4, 2004, 3:03 am
A know-it-all? Um, excuse me?

palloco
February 4, 2004, 8:33 am
c# is slower than Java and is worst than Java. It is another pathetic try from Microsoft to make a new environment. I had been in a conference about migration to .net ... LOL The first guy who talked was working in a company and was saying that visual studio 2003 was [:-censored], it crashed the system constantly, there were lots of bugs...
Obviously he said that .net was much better, that lots of those things hd been solutioned... I would like to see if that is true. C# is more Java than C, pointers had dissapeared? Then how the heck are you supposed to do the programs that needed pointers?

Put textures away and UT could be inside a floppy

Blutonium_Boy
February 4, 2004, 2:36 pm
I've never used Delphi but have some experience in Pascal. I've always heard good things about Delphi and recently it seems to be pumping out some brilliant relatively 'simple' games. My first impression of Soldat reminded me of CrimsonLand (check it out it rocks) which was also programmed in Delphi using a proprietry engine known as "Basilisk" developed specifically for this sort of game.
You can find Crimsonland here: http://crimsonland.reflexive.com/crimsonland/

palloco
February 4, 2004, 2:41 pm
Yeah, crimsonland rox as well as zax and another one i forgot

The Professional
February 6, 2004, 3:00 pm
quote:Originally posted by palloco
And 90% of all programs used in windows eat a lot of mem, may be unstable and are unable to free all the memory they had sucked up. That is the reason why ALL scientific programs are made in languages like C, because they need something reliable and fast, able to do the inmense numerical calculus in the lesser time. When someone just wanna do something quickly he uses Visual languages .

Even stuff done in C/C++/FoxPro/whatever is going to drain a lot of memory if you can't write worth crap (and most everyone does). VisualBasic programs have the potential to be just as good as anything else. Not ALL scientific programs are written in other languages...some but not all.

palloco
February 6, 2004, 4:20 pm
Visual basic programs have the ability to not to work in unix, maybe now there is a compiler. Therefore no scientific program can be made in vb because no supercomputer use windows, just UNIX based systems or an OS specifically made for that machine. If you can execute quickly a program in a normal computer, then it is not an authentical scientific program.

dabookshah
February 27, 2004, 7:02 am
A while ago someone here said Delphi Standard goes for free....... I've been looking for it, and i cant find a free version. Anyone help?

Yin_Starrunner
February 27, 2004, 8:48 pm
Soldat was developed in english.

palloco
February 27, 2004, 9:52 pm
http://www.thefreecountry.com/compilers/pascal.shtml
There you have free compilers

dabookshah
March 1, 2004, 4:15 am
Ok pallco, had a look, couldn't find what i was looking for - To me it MOSTLY looks like a bunch of old rubbish that the software companies finally let go because they were no use to anyone any more. There is stuff to do with msdos in there, but its mostly pascal. There was some stuff there about delphi but i just wanna know if there acutally is a free version like Jack_TH said, and where i can find it.

I looked, but didnt c it. If it was there and i missed it, please tell me.

palloco
March 1, 2004, 8:19 am
Hmm, a free version from borland? No... that would mean less money for them. But you can obtain it by other methods

TheArc
March 7, 2004, 5:48 am
C++ is the own and Delphi is the own.

eXistenZ
March 7, 2004, 1:40 pm
dunno i think Visual Basic is the best language program and most non boring one although visual c++ has some other goodies the other languages dont exist for me :P these are the best ones

palloco
March 7, 2004, 2:24 pm
eXistez, someone who believes that windows is the only OS in the world(by checking what u said in ur web) could hardly bring a useful opinion in programmming preferences since most of the languages are completely unknown for you.

eXistenZ
March 7, 2004, 5:48 pm
:/ thats not ur business what i wrote i know i forgot to put windows so? whats ur problem ill modify it right now maybe it will make u happy

eXistenZ
March 7, 2004, 5:56 pm
anyway u know that most of the games are made for windows right ? so who cares about them working on other OS's ?

The Professional
March 8, 2004, 9:22 pm
quote:Originally posted by palloco
Visual basic programs have the ability to not to work in unix, maybe now there is a compiler. Therefore no scientific program can be made in vb because no supercomputer use windows, just UNIX based systems or an OS specifically made for that machine. If you can execute quickly a program in a normal computer, then it is not an authentical scientific program.

Okay, you are obviously talking out your arse. You mean to tell me that "no scientific program can be made in vb because no supercomputer use windows, just UNIX based systems or an OS specifically made for that machine"? You must not have heard of using Windows 64-bit Server or Win2k3 Server for super-computing clusters. Universities, organizations, and large corporations are doing it all the time.

Anyone can make most anything out of vB. It may not be the most efficient, and it may require writing/rewriting your own functions, but IT CAN BE DONE.

"If you can execute quickly a program in a normal computer, then it is not an authentical scientific program." <- I'm sorry but that sounds so ridiculous I can only assume english isn't your native language.

I'm not an advocate of vB here, I'm just pointing out the facts. There are even better languages to use, and I believe in a Windows GUI environment Delphi is about the best all around, especially for new programmers.

samthemon
March 9, 2004, 4:01 am
this post is starting to be filled with peoiple who took on programming yesterday. i agree with the professional, however a 64 bit computer is NOT faster than a supercomputer. also, VB might be capable of scientific calculation, but it's really designed to make programs that use GUI's heavily easier. oh, and WHO CARES.

a comment mae earlier about windowes programs sucking up mem and not giving it back is the biggest amount of bs i've ever heard. the only reason you are getting memory leaks is because you don't know what you are doing. in c++, try using the delete keyword on objects you created no the heap? just a thought. you can't excpect the OS to clean up for you. also, windows progs don't suck up mempory thAt much. what DOEs suck up memry is trying to use MFC in a game lol.

sAm!

palloco
March 9, 2004, 8:30 am
"You must not have heard of using Windows 64-bit Server or Win2k3 Server for super-computing clusters. Universities, organizations, and large corporations are doing it all the time."

Obviously I had not heard it. I am interested at receiving info about that.

""If you can execute quickly a program in a normal computer, then it is not an authentical scientific program." <- I'm sorry but that sounds so ridiculous I can only assume english isn't your native language."
Your assumption is right. But even a HP superdome (cluster of 128 Itanium 2) needs several days to execute some simulations. I am not talking about MAthematica or Maple

The Professional
March 9, 2004, 6:45 pm
quote:Originally posted by samthemon
i agree with the professional, however a 64 bit computer is NOT faster than a supercomputer.I don't know where you got the impression that I said a 64-bit computer is not faster than a super computer, I don't recall saying that. 90% of the "super computers" available today are simply cheap intel/AMD boxes in clusters. In fact, most of the high-end Cray super computers are just large mboards with 256+ 128-bit RISC processors from MIPS, etc.

quote:also, VB might be capable of scientific calculation, but it's really designed to make programs that use GUI's heavily easier. oh, and WHO CARES.Great, I'm glad my point got across.

nife
May 19, 2004, 8:53 pm
OK, let's get one thing straight: Delphi is only a program (more precise: IDE) for the programming language Object Pascal. I don't know why everybody calls the language Delphi, but perhaps it's because Delphi is the only IDE for Object Pascal on the market.

Drevay
June 15, 2004, 11:19 pm
Still quite hard to believe it was programmed with Delphi 6 (which is Borland's equivalent to Pascal [they kind of bought Pascal, in a sense, made a 'visual' version of it] and Visual Basic). I would have suspected C++ myself until I RTFM.

I'm a C man, personally, I like how lightweight C is (standard library is significantly smaller), and how it can be used to very low level programming (kernel hacks with Linux, although what I've tried ended up to be a mess :S).

I wonder how Michal got the game to run so smoothly with Delphi? Perhaps Delphi is faster than I thought?

Question: is Delhpi compiled or interpreted?

I'm assuming compiled.

Alamo
June 15, 2004, 11:21 pm
Afaik it's compiled.

Drevay
June 15, 2004, 11:25 pm
Oh, and no, you can get compilers (I found it was compiled, yes) for Object Pascal out there - open source.

Delphi just contains a few more GUI libs and the such which are Borland specific. Plus, it works with DirectX a little better, IIRC.

Object Pascal is mainly an OpenGL type of language (as far as game programming goes).

So basically, Delhpi is a slightly modified version of Object Pascal.

Delhpi isn't an IDE, Delhpi USES a Borland made IDE, and a Borland made compiler, but it ISN'T an IDE or program or anything like that.

Btw, Pascal is made in C, for those who don't know.

Windows XP is quite stable in my experience, on a side note, I haven't had it crash once since I got a new PSU (my last one was a puny excuse for a PSU, had to replace it).

Windows 98 was even a great OS - that's if you installed directly from an MS CD, and didn't have an OEM version.

DarKnezz
July 7, 2004, 7:17 pm
As the pro-programmer here, i feel it nesessary to add a post :)
Delphi is very similar to Visual BASIC; In fact, if the names weren't different, they'd probably be suing each other.
Borland Delphi and Microsoft Visual BASIC are high-level programming languages - meaning they are 'quite like english'. Low-level languages, like ASM (assembly) and machine code are 'like computer lanuages'.
Think of it like this: You're talking to a french guy, they more french you use, the easier he can understand (faster in the computer's case), the more english you use when talking to Mr. Frenchie the harder, and slower it will take him to understand.
VB and Delphi are also called RAD lanuages, Rapid Aid Developmet, which makes it a whole lot easier for the programmer.
In terms of speed, if you were to compare VB/Delphi's execute speeds of simple math to that of C++, you'll find that C++ is ~40 times faster. Also, using compiled code is a whole lot quicker too (look into APIs (Application Programming Interface). Another thing that can be used for optimisation (make it run faster) of a program in a high-level language are c++ wrappers. For example, you could write a function in C++ to do something as simple as multiplying, compile it and then 'import' and use it your program wherever to multiply. This is great for frame-based games, such as soldat, where there is a loop running constantly that does all the required procedures, such as DETECTINPUT, DOPHYSICS, DETECTCOLLISIONS, CLEARSCREEN, RENDER.
It's all about using the right language for the project you're doing.

If anyone's interested in learning a bit of programming, or even touching up on their skills, check these:
[URL] -Visual BASIC forums
[URL] -GameDev forums (many tutors and example code)
[URL] -Lucky's VB gaming site
[URL] -The VB APIs
[URL] -Planet Source Code (all languages)

A little note: Programming/developing simple games is dead easy and straight forward. Yes, a game like soldat requires knowledge of math (pythagoras/trig) and physics (forces&motion/ridig-body collisions).
Implementing code is reletively easy once you know your stuff.

-End Transmition-

CbbLe
July 7, 2004, 7:32 pm
Here are free compilers for languages like Delphi, C and C++....

http://www.bloodshed.net/

palloco
July 7, 2004, 8:45 pm
And now take into accout the greatest program. Project mono 1.0 had been released!