( search forums )
Some questions
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Developers Corner
Uchihajeff
September 18, 2003, 6:28 am
Hi I am basically a complete noob to programming, but I want to create a game. O and if this is somewhat off-topic or not allowed, Im sorry. Well anyway...
I want to create a game and learn a good game creating programming language at the same time. I don't want to use any game creator programs. I want some tips about where to start. My idea is to make a platform game like soldat, not 3-d. Any suggestions?

NightCabbage
September 18, 2003, 12:14 pm
Well, step 1: Choose a language.

There's C, and all it's many many incarnations.

Then there's Java, which is completely free.

And Delphi, which Soldat is made with.

And heaps more :P

Pick one, and go with it.

Practice a bit, make whatever you can.

And feel free to always ask for help ^_^

Uchihajeff
September 19, 2003, 6:50 am
I heard a really common one is C++ and i heard it is a pretty good language. Would it be good for games?

NightCabbage
September 20, 2003, 12:26 pm
Indeed it is :)

In fact, you'll find that most commercial games are made with C++

Anything from Unreal to StarCraft =)

SimdroneX
September 20, 2003, 1:19 pm
Good Luck! LOL, I almost shot myself trying to learn that.
If you are serious about this, buy a really good book, or sign up for a comp sci. class at some community college, because finding a decent newbie tutorial on the net is next to impossible.

Uchihajeff
September 20, 2003, 5:07 pm
Thank all of you for ur help, those were good ideas. But I have one more question. I researched a bit about C++ and I have some more questions. Is Visual C++ easier than C++? Does it have the same power? Pros? Cons?

SimdroneX
September 20, 2003, 7:15 pm
Visual C++ is just a compiler, there many, many compilers out there from different companies, and some of the better ones are free. To be honest, I think that you should start with a simpler language, like VB or something, to get a feel for debugging and a lot of other crap that you will be faced with. Just an opinion though, because I know a guy that started with C++, he didn't even know Basic, XD. Blitzed is pretty cool, lotsa tutorials and stuff for beginners. I haven't touched delphi before, but it looks great.

eyic
September 21, 2003, 1:00 am
ok my brother has started using c++ a while back and he made a tutorial on how to make a simple program called HelloWorld v2

heres the tutorial

Download Attachment: [IMAGE] tutorial.txt4.36 KB

and heres the actual program in the tutorial all compiled and crap:
Hello World v.2

Dragon88
September 21, 2003, 1:41 am
I'm a C++ programmer, and a game programmer.

Honestly, learn a language, and get to be able to use it for simple applications.
Then think about games.

NightCabbage
September 21, 2003, 12:45 pm
Yes, I agree with that.

But C++ is fine as a starting point, you gotta start somewhere, and the basic concepts are all the same.

Dragon88
September 22, 2003, 3:27 am
Oh, yeah. C++ is a great starting point, but u don't just sit down and code a game... First u have to learn how C++ syntax works, and then u have to learn a graphics API, whether it be OpenGL or Direct3D, then the sound, then the network, etc.

I'm not discoraging u in any way, i think it's great that u want to learn to program and make a game, but i think that were u to try and learn a new language as u make a game u would prolly get discouraged and quit. I don't want to see that, so I'm just recommending that u take it one step at a time.

Uchihajeff
September 23, 2003, 11:15 pm
Well, I got a Sams Learn Visual C++ in 21 days book. Is it a good starting book? It seems to teach the basics... Just not about games.

Dragon88
September 24, 2003, 2:24 am
I've never seen it. I've always been skeptical of those 'Learn it Fast' books...

NightCabbage
September 24, 2003, 11:49 am
Me too, lol, but you gotta start somewhere I guess! :)

As long as it teaches you some basics...

And there really is no reason that you can't learn how to program in less than a week.

But it takes longer to REALLY learn it LOL

Michal Marcinkowski
September 24, 2003, 12:18 pm
Books about game programming that I can suggest:
"Tricks of the Windows game programming gurus" (for the basic game development idea) and
"Tricks of the 3d game programming gurus" (for 3d engine development).
All books by Andre LaMothe.

I read one of his first books about 10 years ago and it made me a guru :)))

Donnie
September 24, 2003, 1:25 pm
AMEN!!! SAY HALLELUJA! =)

NightCabbage
September 24, 2003, 1:41 pm
*everyone goes out and buys those books*

lol

Tha Doggfather
September 24, 2003, 7:42 pm
omg if Michal is our god, then this will be our bible! spread the word! :D

Frosty
September 24, 2003, 8:50 pm
Where did you learn Delphi Michal?

My school teaches me java.

Dragon88
September 24, 2003, 9:18 pm
DON"T LEARN IT! DON"T LEARN IT!

Java sucks... bad.

Frosty
September 24, 2003, 10:17 pm
I have to if I want to graduate!

I am pretty good in C as well, I have programmed snippets for some MUDS.

NightCabbage
September 25, 2003, 2:33 am
C++ and Java are practically identical, except that Java does some of it's own cleanup stuff for you.

But it's kinda... I dunno... Something not too good about it - hard to explain ^^ lol

Either way I know Java coz
a) That's the chosen language now for schools/universities
b) I used it in College
c) I am using it in Uni

I wanna try C#

Social Poison
September 25, 2003, 3:27 am
The primary reason people learn Java is because as far as beginner languages go it's a biiiit easier than C++ is. However it lacks the flexibility (and frankly the use) of C++.

Another MAJOR one is because some schools are under the strange impression that EVERYONE uses it. UW (University of Washington) does it's programming and Computer Science classes in JAVA... ack. Fortunatly at my school we're doing C++.

But yes... there are some basic programming principals that are universal to languages.

1) Organization and Documentation - In the name of all that is good and holy organize and comment your code. It saves your self trouble. It saves trouble for anyone who may use your code in the future.

2) Thinking and Problem solving - Realistically learning C++ is like learning a language that only has 60 or so commands (that number may be off, and yes I know that classes and libraries streatch this number into infinity). However a lot comes down to HOW you're going to do something. How you're going to get around (insert problem).

3) Software Development Lifecycle
Specifications,Analysis, design, implementation, testing/fixing (follows is maintenence, technically... but most ppl don't worry too much about that).

Specifications - What do you want your program to do?
Analysis - What are your limitations and resources?
Design - Make a diagram, flow chart, and anything else that helps you to figure out HOW you're going to meet your goals from the specifications
Implementation - Code the stuff
Testing/Bugging/Fixing - Fix stuff.

Note that the more time you spend in the first three steps, the less time you spend in the fifth [;)]

NightCabbage
September 25, 2003, 1:25 pm
At least I'm doing C++ at uni next year I suppose...

Not that I'll prolly learn anything from that course hah!

Uchihajeff
October 7, 2003, 2:50 am
Heh, I'm thirteen. Anyway, I have a question to those who know C++. This is probably a noob question to you, but hey, I'm learning!

How do you execute other applications using your own application? I tried using "WinExec", but the only way I know how to use it is with system applications in C:/Windows/System32 (or something like that) The only other application executing commands I know are "CreatProcess" and "ShellExecute".

After you answered this question (or even if you didn't), can you direct me to some noob-friendly developer forums?