( search forums )
Bot API
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Developers Corner
pongo
November 3, 2003, 2:00 pm
If we will have Bot API...

Michel creates a basis bot.dll (bots).
And we will create algorithms of work of bots.

CbbLe
November 3, 2003, 2:14 pm
yeiiiii, my favourite is back :=)

y0da
November 3, 2003, 4:11 pm
I don't understand.[?] Draw it for me... [:-dopey]

Dark_Noddy
November 3, 2003, 4:29 pm
Err.. If I dun [:-censored] up again thats a nice Idea...

pongo
November 3, 2003, 10:52 pm
uuuu...

k. Bot API

File bot.dll - a bot. Programmers write algorithms of a bot

y0da
November 4, 2003, 8:41 am
quote:Originally posted by pongo
uuuu...

k. Bot API

File bot.dll - a bot. Programmers write algorithms of a bot

Ohhh... i get it now! You can change behaviour of all bots, right???

pongo
November 4, 2003, 1:15 pm
Not all bots.

bot.dll - algorithms of bots. Admiral.bot - configuration of one bot.

CbbLe
November 4, 2003, 1:21 pm
Mooooooohihihi, are u for real pongo?

sqweek
November 4, 2003, 6:12 pm
Why wouldn't he be "for real", CbbLe?

NightCabbage
November 5, 2003, 3:12 am
(sorry) but I think that there's a whole heap of much better things to implement other than bots...

Dragon88
November 5, 2003, 7:56 pm
Yah, as in:

GET THE FREAKING GAME RELEASED!

MgFalcon
November 8, 2003, 11:35 pm
that bot.dll thing sounds sweat you could like have SWAT missions if you program them correctly

Ivan0
November 16, 2003, 10:52 pm
well if we could mod the bot.dll then there would be a lot of 'smart' bots, the ones that camp, spawnkill, hide behind scenery, use socom to shoot down your m79 projectile, etc etc. i think is a very good suggestion

ToTu
April 6, 2004, 11:32 am
If it would work it would be a good idea

blackdevil0742
April 6, 2004, 4:58 pm
Sounds awsome

Deleted User
April 6, 2004, 8:23 pm
People would actually play with bots if you could program their behaviour...and there would actually be a proper use for the Bot Forum, heh.

peemonkey
April 6, 2004, 11:41 pm
if i could program bots....hehehe...there'd be no point for online play

damnnation
April 16, 2004, 10:24 pm
^^what he sead^^

DrocK
April 16, 2004, 11:01 pm
i think that is not really necessary i rather have an update on "soldat online or some bug fices" than having that

peemonkey
April 16, 2004, 11:23 pm
fixes, oyu mean :P
well, if it gets in (unlikely), ill send you 1 bot that'd change your mind completely. :D :D :D :D :D

Skeptik
August 28, 2004, 5:48 pm
Ivan0, we? i didnt know you actually knew any delphi :x (does)
its a great idea and well like 'peemonkey' noted.. it would take online play down a peg :(

blackdevil0742
August 28, 2004, 8:53 pm
WTF!!?!?!

Elephant_Hunter
August 29, 2004, 12:35 am
I can just see the next generation of Soldat scripted events... (daydreams)

Elephant Hunter flies up to the tunnel and goes prone, taking a look inside. There is a guard standing at the entrance mumbling to himself about the bad quality of his job. Then, a wild shriek is heard as an alien jumps up behind the anawares guard, tears him to shreds and walks back to the darkness. Lights blink on & off. All is silent again. *Shiver*

jack_o_lantern
October 12, 2004, 9:26 pm
Hi there.I'm 100%NEW to soldat and I am very interested in ways i can work with it (mainly bots).I'm wondering what type of coding it uses and what i can do with it.

MAYDAY MADAY!I'm getting my *** kicked here![B)]

Pathos
October 13, 2004, 4:21 am
The problem with dlls
- People will distribute bot dlls that install viruses or be a virus.
- The actual implementation of it wouldn't be too hard but Michael would have to release too much source code for it to work which would help hackers (also it is a commercial program).

Scripting
- No problems with viruses (or less) but just too slow.

Ardaen
October 26, 2004, 8:13 pm
Scripting too slow? There is no reason for a good scripting engine to be slower than the precompiled code in a dll. Except for maybe loading time. I doubt most players would notice that anyway.

Inquisitor
November 1, 2004, 6:07 pm
sorry, but i think that the Soldat community is not big enough for hackers.
if they want to release a virus they will create a pseudo-crack for windows or s.th. but not a infected 'bot.dll' for soldat!!!

Meitzi
November 2, 2004, 7:37 pm
quote:Originally posted by ArdaenScripting too slow? There is no reason for a good scripting engine to be slower than the precompiled code in a dll. Except for maybe loading time. I doubt most players would notice that anyway.
How many game have bots that are only scripted?
Most of them you only can change bot behaviors, "be alert, stop, start shooting someone".

Programming full bot support scriptengine is really hard.

Inquisitor
November 4, 2004, 1:54 pm
yep this is probably right.
AI is a very special part in game programming and you need a lot of skills.

zyxstand
November 8, 2004, 10:07 pm
well, implementing bot dll's would make the next version quite a hit...but also maps need to be designed for bots to get better around. This is usually a very complicated process and is most annoying in map making but im sure its definintely workth it! but camping bots would be cool to have...like they hide behind scenary tats wide enuf for the to b unseen and they should usually do it with baretts and shoot only from relatively close range for better chance of hitting n stuff... and a bot.dll-maker would b ns to have then 2

Leo Da Lunerfox
November 28, 2004, 10:05 am
I would make hewt secks to the game if this is implantmented, because it would help me so much in my Timeline Project....

but for now, it is completely possible to make Patroling bots, camping bots, and rushing bots, along with their chatting. You'll just have to use your little brain to figure out how to do it :)

Fangus Deef
November 28, 2004, 5:34 pm
im still 5,000,000% in favor of this idea, and am waiting for official word.

Vijchtidoodah
December 1, 2004, 4:10 am
If you could somehow make the bots perform somewhat less moronic than kids with ADHD on summer break, I would do anything to have that code in the next version.