( search forums )
Java
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Developers Corner
palloco
November 13, 2003, 9:59 pm
It had been asked to develop Soldat for Linux and Mac but... what about Java? It would allow to play Soldat on any system just developping one version
Is Java powerful enough to support the programation of Soldat? Can Java provide the same secure encryption than Delphi does... or if anyone ever try something similar would it be better in GPL?

Dragon88
November 14, 2003, 1:57 am
No, java is not powerfull enuf to do soldat. I'd frankly be surprised if you could get DirectX to work in Java (in a clean fashion). Besides, then you would have to make everyone who wanted to play soldat download the java runtime environment, and that would just be yucky. And I'm not sure about it's speed either.

palloco
November 14, 2003, 9:33 am
Since Java can be used in any system it does not have dx support but... does Soldat really need DX? If Java is powerful enough it would have instructions that would allow the same than DX do. BTW Soldat is simply a 2D game, it cannot ask many resources, and in the case the textures need them, then improved graphics would be an option.
In Java page they say it is powerful to do 2D and 3D games and using several types of security measures, but maybe they are not enough to make an anticheat system or who knows

skc.nevermore
November 14, 2003, 8:15 pm
I'd guess that java is kinda too slow for such a game

NightCabbage
November 16, 2003, 5:13 am
First of all, you can make a full 3d game with Java, and compared to that, Soldat is tiny :) lol

So Java is quite capable of that.

The only problem is that, as you say, DirectX only works with Windows :) lol

So it would have to be made... crap just to run on the other systems lol

samthemon
January 18, 2004, 10:52 pm
Java is not capable in any way as far as gfx go really. Yes there is 3d support (provided though openGL which isnt really cross-platform). and no java cannot compete with directX unless it uses it. directX directly accesses video hardware without going through the windows GDI interface (graphics drawing interface). im talking windows here tho :P. anyways, java would be good for cross-platform, but another thing to realise is that java actually defines what is "pure" in it's library. yes thats right, half of the java API isnt even that great on other platforms! anyways, a server in java might be cool.

Sambo!

The Professional
January 29, 2004, 6:17 pm
It would work in Java, however it would be very slow. Java is an interpreted language (although you can get compilers, but that defeats the cross-platform ability of Java), so it can't compete with languages that are compiled such as C/C++.

What do you mean Java isn't capable of rendering the graphics soldat pushes? Common, it's just a bunch of detailed sprites and some basic polys (but honestly, you're having too much fun playing the game too notice that, right?). The Gameboy Advance could probably do a decent redition of Soldat...

samthemon
February 1, 2004, 11:15 am
lol. no. soldat isnt exactly the next doom 3. however it does ask for a decent amount of system resources.

Cyrus242
February 3, 2004, 4:29 am
Hey...don't forget OpenOffice.org. That entire suite is JAVA and somehow they got it running spanking fast. Java's a bit more powerful than you give it credit for...A good graphics library does need to be developed for it though.

Dragon88
February 4, 2004, 3:07 am
Spanking fast? Ummm, no.

samthemon
February 4, 2004, 5:22 am
dragon. stop with those f*cking annoying post boost posts.

cyrus, perhaps you're right, after all, runescape is made in java, and it runs aight. i ho0nestly dunno. but heres another thing to consider, i'm not sure about the line count of soldat (perhaps michal could tell us?), but i'm guessing its starting to get big. would any of you really feel like recoding a game in some other language you may not have lots of experience in?

Cookie.
March 11, 2004, 4:08 am
i thought splinter cell was made in java :) and maybe im just crazy :)

Drama
March 11, 2004, 12:53 pm
Try html

dadarkman
March 11, 2004, 2:37 pm
html to make a game...[?]...looks stupid to me[:I]

Drama
March 11, 2004, 4:13 pm
Soldat - The text adventure