( search forums )
Map destruction
Soldat Forums - Soldat Talk - Game Improvements / Suggestions
Slamex
February 3, 2004, 3:58 pm
Like Worms or RedFaction. That would be awesome sometimes.

Josh1l6
February 3, 2004, 5:16 pm
I thought about that too, having been introduced to Soldat through Liero. But geo-mod technology would be reasonable only in survival mode unless the terrain somehow "regenerated" or had limited destructibility (Red Faction had indestructible furniture [:-yuck]). Otherwise there'd be no land left to stand on if everyone used M79's and nades. To counter that, there could be a limited number of lives per team or player, like in Gunbound. Would be super-nice too if the craters were more natural instead of "circles cut out of the ground".

Another sort of destruction that's easier to implement is objects that are affected by physics or can be destroyed. Cars or dumpsters for cover could be blown out of the way, flipped around, and used to knock enemies down, becoming like environmental projectiles. I think that would be tons of fun, and could eventually lead to the development of vehicles(drivable, volatile transportation/projectiles) in Soldat. To put is simplistically, I think vehicles could be derived from the ragdoll physics.

b00stA
February 3, 2004, 5:35 pm
Destructable terrain: Burn baby, burn!

Deformable Terrain

we need destructable polys

READ them before posting. Do not post there unless you really have something to add.

Slamex
February 3, 2004, 5:42 pm
You're absolutely right. I checked before posting, but not hard enough it seems... I apologize.[B)]
Maybe such things would happen less often if the search engine was more efficient. It took quite a while to display results every time I tried.

Hitman
February 3, 2004, 5:45 pm
quote:It took quite a while to display results every time I triedYeah, I have the same problem, sometimes it takes so long I just give up..

---

I think the idea is good to some extent, but as Screbbin says in this topic:

quote:the terrain should be deformable only in certain areas and you should be able to set which parts in the editor.I completely agree, this is the way I think it should be done 'if' implimented.